Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Setup Problems & Cannot Fully Reset

BongoBoy
Aspirant

R7000 Setup Problems & Cannot Fully Reset

Bought new R7000 this morning, could not find any instructions in manual on how to configure as an AP for existing Nighthawk network. So, I followed the instructions that I could find, and gave the router an address of 192.168.0.240, with main cable modem router at 192.168.0.1.  Those instructions basically went like: connect cable btw laptop and new router, go to Advanced and select AP mode, let WAP router get its address from the main router. Afterward I read a caution not to select AP Mode because one can not gain access to the router again...that appears to have been good advice.

Setup seems to work okay IF I cable the two devices together, but no go over wifi.  I then find instructions that say to connect new router to main router, then access new router on its network. I cannot access the new router at all if I plug it into main router, although I can connect to its network...which is now showing up as the default name the device came with (NETGEAR82). It does NOT have a 'default' IP address though..it still has the one I gave it (192.168.0.240) I think. Since the MAC address of the new R7000 does not show up in the list of devices connected to the main router, I don't actually know what its IP might be.

I am able to get to the 'main' router (also a Nighthawk AC1900 cable modem/router--model C7000) with the web interface, but not the new one that is apparently now in permanent AP mode.

What can be done? All I wanted to do, really, was get a router in my office that I could connect my NAS drive and printer to...what with the C7000 ISP router out of reach downstairs and me not wanting to pull cable.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

All that said, The Ap Mode is to be used with a Cat xx cable from router lan to r7000 in AP mode, Wan port.

If running a cable is too much work try setting it up as a Bridge then you don't have to run a cable the entire distance. You could place the bridge at a point where signal still exists and then use a long enough cable.

While running a cable can be a PITA it is well worth it in the long run.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

All that said, The Ap Mode is to be used with a Cat xx cable from router lan to r7000 in AP mode, Wan port.

If running a cable is too much work try setting it up as a Bridge then you don't have to run a cable the entire distance. You could place the bridge at a point where signal still exists and then use a long enough cable.

While running a cable can be a PITA it is well worth it in the long run.

Message 2 of 6
BongoBoy
Aspirant

Thanks searay...appreciate your response.

While not the answer I wanted, it did force me to recall the fact that I actually have a cat6 cable between the floors. I pulled it a couple of years ago to hook up my home audio controller, and so it now connects the two routers, as you suggested, and I have all the modern conveniences of a printer and NAS drive access. 🙂  All I needed to do was run another RG6 from the Xfinity box outside to the location where the CAT6 is terminated on the main floor..easy work.

Still the question remains...is there any way to access the R7000 to change its configuration back to factory? I can see that'll be needed for firmware updates, etc., and for 'repurposing' in the future.

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Pushing and holding reset until power LED flashes will reset it to defaults.

Glad it's working!

Message 4 of 6
BongoBoy
Aspirant

I've attempted reset using that technique several times and it really doesn't appear to do anything at all, at least as far as the AP configuration. GIven that it's plugged into the other router and I'm not having any DHCP related issues that I'm aware of (i.e., I don't see any evidence there's any IP address conflicts or assignment issues), I have to think it's definitely not coming out of AP mode.

Message 5 of 6
BongoBoy
Aspirant

My apologies...I meant to add that the network name that I gave the router's two channels definitely appears to have been reset back to the factory name...so that's what I meant above when I said it didn't appear to 'completely' reset.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7