Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 as access point with Xfinity Security Router?

xaero_dark_30
Aspirant

R7000 as access point with Xfinity Security Router?

I've recently upgraded my Brother's Home Networking with a R7000 in access point mode.

He had two old Linksys Router running Tomato, which I configured years ago. Router #1 was 192.168.1.1 (Primary Router and DHCP server), Router #2 was 192.168.1.2 in "Client Bridge Mode".

So for the new router, I went to routerlogin.net and configured the R7000 in access point mode, I set the SSID's and rebooted the router. After the router rebooted, I was not able to login to the R7000 with the default passwd, and realized that I was hitting the logon page for an existing "Xfinity Security Router" (I think it's used to connect to an Xfinity Security Touch Screen Panel). I didn't want to make the R7000 primary, because I didn't want to break the connectivity to his Xfinity device.

Anways, the Access point's SSIDs are working from the R7000. Both regular and 5 ghz bands.

Question is: how do I find the IP address of the newly installed R7000? I cannot login to the Xfinity Router (Netgear WNR1000 v2), which is 172.16.12.1.

client devices are now getting DHCP IPs in the 172.16.100.x range. So, was I actually riding the Netgear wizzard from the R7000 or the WNR1000?

I spoke with several Xfinity Tech support reps and they could tell me the login info for the Netgear WNR1000 or tell me the exact function of this router.

Can anyone shed some light? I want to eventually make the R7000 the primary router, dhcp server, etc... Doesn't seem like an optimal setup right now.

There's also a Arris Surboard SB6141 that functions as the Cable Modem, which has the IP address of 192.168.100.1 which I can still access from a workstation.

Thanks for helping!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7000 as access point with Xfinity Security Router?

Hi xaero_dark_30,

Reconfigure the R7000 AP mode. You have the option to set a static IP on the R7000 AP mode in range with the main router. Reset it first so that you can access the UI.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

JamesGL

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Are you using the R7000's WAN port to connect to the Xfinity router?

Message 2 of 5
xaero_dark_30
Aspirant

Yes, as far I can tell. The Wan port on the R7000 is now configured as a LAN port because it doesn't seem to change anything when I connect the cable from the Netgear WNR1000 to the R7000's WAN/LAN ports. I just want to be able to log on to the WNR1000 so I can figure out what IP the R7000 is. 

thanks!

Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi xaero_dark_30,

Reconfigure the R7000 AP mode. You have the option to set a static IP on the R7000 AP mode in range with the main router. Reset it first so that you can access the UI.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi xaero_dark_30,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7