Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 suddenly slow wifi

gohigher
Guide

R7000 suddenly slow wifi

Model : R7000

Firmware now : V1.0.7.10_1.2.3

I've 3 r7000 routers. Until now they all worked fine. But now suddenly i have slower wifi 5Ghz speeds. I've a 100Mbps isp network at home. When i do a speedtest true lan on my r7000 i get 91Mbps , the same result as on my isp router. But when i do a speedtest true the 5Ghz channel on my r7000 routers the i only get 61Mbps. If i do a speedtest true the 5Ghz channel on my isp router the i get 85Mbps . This was the same result i got on my r7000 when everthing was working fine. Don't know what is causing this problem.

I already tried changing the channels , ssid , passwords and factory reset and also i downgraded it to versions : R7000-V1.0.9.14_1.2.25    R7000-V1.0.7.12_1.2.5   R7000-V1.0.7.10_1.2.3

All the same problem. Hope some one knows a good solution for this problem. They all worked so fine before , i like them to work super again.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 suddenly slow wifi

A couple questions.

1. what modem are you using?  You put that you ran the 5ghz speedtest through your ISPs modem and got full speed.

2. are the R7000's running in AP mode or router mode? its a bad idea to have multiple device running in router mode on one network. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

3. the most stable agreed upon version of the firmware for the R7000 is the 1.0.9.42 version. Put that version on the R7000 over a hardwired connection, factory reset them, and then re-install them. 

4. How big is your home? (sq ft) Running 4x devices is quite excessive unless your house is massive. 

5. materials for your home? 

6. Are the R7000's using the same ssid?

7. Are the R7000's hardwired in?

8. are they all running the same wifi channel for each band or seperated? Its recommended to seperate them out

9. What device are you testing with? make sure to try multiple devices.

Basically a better description of what your layout is, how you have it setup, your testing procedure can all help us understand your network and whats all going on.

Message 2 of 19
gohigher
Guide

1. what modem are you using?  You put that you ran the 5ghz speedtest through your ISPs modem and got full speed. It's a modem / router called bbox 3 from technicolor

2. are the R7000's running in AP mode or router mode? its a bad idea to have multiple device running in router mode on one network. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

All off them are setup as accesspoint

3. the most stable agreed upon version of the firmware for the R7000 is the 1.0.9.42 version. Put that version on the R7000 over a hardwired connection, factory reset them, and then re-install them. Going to try that one out now 

4. How big is your home? (sq ft) Running 4x devices is quite excessive unless your house is massive. Don't know exact size but believe me it is necessary to have enough coverage

5. materials for your home? Bricks

6. Are the R7000's using the same ssid? Yes for all of them the same ssid

7. Are the R7000's hardwired in? all hard wired

8. are they all running the same wifi channel for each band or seperated? Its recommended to seperate them out All on different channel

9. What device are you testing with? make sure to try multiple devices. My galaxy note 10 plus , a galaxy s8 and a galaxy tablet s5e

Now to test the previous firmwares out i used the default ssid and password so i'm sure i'm testing on the good router

Message 3 of 19
gohigher
Guide

1. It's a modem / router called bbox 3 from technicolor

2. All off them are setup as accesspoint

3. Going to try that one out now 

4. Don't know exact size but believe me it is necessary to have enough coverage

5. Bricks

6. Yes for all of them the same ssid

7. All hard wired

8. All on different channel

9. My galaxy note 10 plus , a galaxy s8 and a galaxy tablet s5e

Now to test the previous firmwares out i used the default ssid and password so i'm sure i'm testing on the good router.

Message 4 of 19
gohigher
Guide

Sadly enough firmware 1.0.9.42 didn't solve my problem. Still slow wifi speeds. Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 19
plemans
Guru

You put that they worked well before. what changed? (other than speed)

The R7000 isn't a mesh router and doesn't support that 802.11r/k that I could find. maybe its changed. Regardless, this tends to leave some devices as "sticky". Meaning they won't always switch to a better access point.  You could try shutting down 2 of the AP's to make sure you're connected to the proper one and see what speeds you get. If you're speeds are good, then it might be an issue with stick clients. 

An upgrade to either something like orbi with roaming standards built in or even a business class access point with roaming standards built in might help. 

Another potential is I've read that OpenWrt has roaming built in. Not sure as I've never used it but something to checking into.

With your home having brick interior walls, its going to leave wifi not working well as I'm sure you've found out. Its good that you have a hardwired backbone between them. worse case scenario is changing the SSID's so they're unique. its a PITA but would prevent sticky clients because you'd have to manually switch. 

another potential is maybe the Tchnicolor is causing the issue. Does if have a modem only/passthrough mode? Try putting it in this mode and running one of the R7000's in router mode. Mabye the technicolor is limiting the speed going to the R7000

Message 6 of 19
gohigher
Guide

Nothing else changed . It's only the wifi speed that is so bad wright now.
It always worked like this and this is the way i want it to work.

I don't want to buy any other system as this system proved to work flawlessly. I think it's a software problem . I didn't change anything at all on my network. My previous modem/router was a bbox3 from sagem , yesterday i changed this one with a bbox3 from Technicolor and that didn't solve the problem . I can't change the router setting to passtrue . The router i flashed to the 1.0.9.4 software is on it's default ssid and password so i'm 100% super i'm on the correct router to test. This problem is so frustrating...
Message 7 of 19
plemans
Guru

@gohigher wrote:
Nothing else changed . It's only the wifi speed that is so bad wright now.
It always worked like this and this is the way i want it to work.

I don't want to buy any other system as this system proved to work flawlessly. I think it's a software problem ---and you're probably right. I didn't change anything at all on my network. My previous modem/router was a bbox3 from sagem , yesterday i changed this one with a bbox3 from Technicolor and that didn't solve the problem . I can't change the router setting to passtrue-----Why not? it doesn't mean you have to leave it in passthrough/modem only but if you want to test things to figure out where the issue is, this is kind of key . The router i flashed to the 1.0.9.4 software is on it's default ssid and password so i'm 100% super i'm on the correct router to test. This problem is so frustrating...

Trying to isolate where a problem is coming from when you're running multiple systems makes it challenging. its going to need testing to isolate where the problem is. 

Try running just the Technicolor and 1-R7000 in AP mode. Test speeds over wireless 5g on both. 

then swap out the R7000 for one of the others. Re-run the test.  compare the speeds. I can see the issue being one of the R7000's but if multiple are having issues, its tough to say its the R7000 that's limiting the speed. 

Also, how do we know the technicolor isn't running a form of QoS or traffic monitoring that's slowing its speeds? 

thats why the passthrough mode is worth setting up and trying. 

And I get that your frustrated and that this used to work. Problem is ISP controlled devices get firmware updates from the ISP and you don't control them. maybe your isp updated the device and thats causing the issue. I understand you got a new one but its the same model from the sounds of it. 

It'll require testing to isolate exactly where the problem is stemming from. 

Message 8 of 19
gohigher
Guide

Thanks for the info. I'll try to test it all out and keep you posted. Maybe i can take one of the r7000's and connect the to a friends router to test it out.
Message 9 of 19
gohigher
Guide

Sadly enough it is a problem with my main modem/router. I connected my r7000 router at my neighbors modem and i get around the 295 Mbps. So there's nothing wrong with the r7000. Don't know how to solve this problem now 😔
Message 10 of 19
plemans
Guru

Try Technicolor's forums or check your manual for qos implementations. 

It at least shows you were the bottleneck is. 

Message 11 of 19
gohigher
Guide

I don't think that would solve anything because my provider blocks lots of things , sadly enough... You can't change many setting.
Message 12 of 19
plemans
Guru

You might be right. I haven't seen a lot of positive things about the BBox3 from technicolor.
Message 13 of 19
gohigher
Guide

I've ran some more tests. I connected the r7000 to an other technicolor bbox with the same line profile as me. And guess what... There it works without any problems... 88Mbps Smiley Frustrated

Now it's getting more and more complicated.
Wireless tests on all my r7000 with my laptop i get arround 88Mbps.
Wireless tests on my bbox with my laptop i get arround 88Mbps.
True lan on my r7000 and my bbox still 91 Mbps.

Wireless on the bbox true the note 10 plus or my galaxy s5e tablet arround the 80Mbps.
Wireless on the r7000 true the note 10 plus or my galaxy s5e tablet i get a max of 65Mbps.

So why here at home only 65Mbps on the r7000 with android and if i test the r7000 on someone elses router i get full speed. Also why do i get the full speed when i test with my laptop wireless and not with android?

Message 14 of 19
plemans
Guru

So why here at home only 65Mbps on the r7000 with android and if i test the r7000 on someone elses router i get full speed. Also why do i get the full speed when i test with my laptop wireless and not with android?

its sounds like it isn't an issue with the r7000 sadly. I'd like to point fingers at it because its had a poor run with firmware. But if its working fine on another setup. Plus working fine on your laptop, I'd be looking closer at the technicolor. And I know you've replaced it so it seems to indicate some type of qos or other speed limiting factor in it. The R7000, in AP mode, isn't doing any traffic monitoring/throttling/etc as those services are disabled in AP mode. 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 15 of 19
jeugregg
Aspirant

Hi,

on my R7000 in AP mode, I have my 5Ghz Wifi speed back !
20 Mbps before with WMM Wifi multi-Media : Disabled
500 Mbps after with WMM Wifi multi-Media : Enabled
Crazy ! Why ??? new Netgear firmware is messing something I think...

firmware : V1.0.11.126_10.2.112
But, it is solved for me with this option activated.
option into the Qos tab

Message 16 of 19
plemans
Guru

@jeugregg Thread jumping is against the t&C of the forum. but a quick note, disabling WMM limits the connection link to 54mbps. Its part of the WMM spec. So if you're wanting faster speeds, it needs to be enabled. 

If you have futher issues/thoughts, please start your own thread instead of jumping in on someone else's. 

Message 17 of 19
jeugregg
Aspirant

Sorry to disturb the forum.

I do that to help people too !

if you thought I am sure that my answer can solve issue for a lot of people ! i have search a lot, and I have found this solution.

A lot of people don't know what it is WMM QoS and I long time ago, it was recommended to desactivate it (QoS for sure, WMM I am not sure)

THe first post do not memtion if the option is On or Off.

I really don't know or remember if I have modified the option WMM on my router... or if was modify after a firmware update, it is strange...

Sorry again.

Message 18 of 19
wcalifas
Prodigy

They probably all updated to new firmware, if the firmware is causing this I'd suggest reverting to an older firmware and turning off the automatic update. When you change the firmware also do a hard reset by pressing the reset button for 30 seconds after you update it with new firmware. Let us know what happens.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7