Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000P (AC2300 Smart WIFI Router) Slows Down LAN

T-Tarkus
Tutor

R7000P (AC2300 Smart WIFI Router) Slows Down LAN

I suppose I made a bit of an error of purchasing everything at once and also changing my ISP speed as well but I have been attempting to diagnose a recurring problem for a couple of weeks now.

First the system: Windows 10, 32MB, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8 core 3.4, ASUS Prime X370, Onboard NIC and a new TP-Link PCIe card.

So essentially a fairly current machine that should have zero issues handling any incoming traffic.

Second the connection: Hitron CDA3 modem, 250 Mbps down/20 Mbps down.

The problem and the probable culprit, Nighthawk AC2300 R7000P router.

WiFi speeds from Notebooks are about what I expect throughout the house; 175 - 210 Mbps.

Lan speed from this computer through the router 80 - 120 Mbps.

These are the test steps I have attempted:  Changed the cables, all Cat 6, changed the cable from Modem to Router.  Updated the onboard NIC and installed a new PCIe NIC, (both GB).  And this is the important one.  Direct connected the modem to the computer for an entire day testing it continually; results were 247 Mbps - 252 Mbps.  Performed large downloads, 45 Gb, and many small downloads over the day and at no point did I get a speed test, (from Speedtest.net), that was slower than 247 Mbps.  The moment I returned the configuration to modem - router - PC the speedtest again went down to 90 Mbps and never goes higher.  It starts off around 150 Mbps for a moment and then slowly reduces to the much slower speed.

So any suggestion that the modem is not providing the 250 Mbps speed is incorrect just as suggesting that changing the NIC or the cables are a cause is also unfounded.  Clearly for some reason the router is causing this serious reduction in speed.

Now that said once in a while a download will jump up to 200+ Mbps but then it falls back whereas when I direct connected to the modem the speed might have fallen for possibly a minute total over a 15 minute download.

Is there a setting I am missing?  Ie: QoS is turned off.  I essentially have tried to keep this configuration as clean as possible but I am completely stumped.  And YES I have reset, rebooted, restarted, powered down every device, PC, Router, Modem etc., more times that I care to mention so all of the standard "try this" has already been tried.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

T.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
T-Tarkus
Tutor

Re: R7000P (AC2300 Smart WIFI Router) Slows Down LAN

Thanks to those who attempted assistance.  The solution turned out to be returning the Netgear router and purchasing an Asus 2400 instead.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

You seem to have tried lots of things. Did they include searching this forum for similar messages?

My fading memory suggests that this one might prove helpful:

>>>> slow speed qos R7000P <<<<

Sadly, many problems prove difficult to diagnose and there is rarely a single fix.

Message 2 of 8
T-Tarkus
Tutor

> You seem to have tried lots of things. Did they include searching this forum for similar messages? 

My fading memory suggests that this one might prove helpful:

>>>> slow speed qos R7000P <<<<

The very first thing I did was go through a variety of searched topics such as "slow speed R7000P", "slow LAN speed R7000P", "inconsistent LAN speeds R7000P", and a few others.  I am now retired but I used to be a NSTS CSE so this isn't exactly my first rodeo so trust me I was hoping there would be some silver bullet.

> Sadly, many problems prove difficult to diagnose and there is rarely a single fix.

Yes indeed which is why I am hoping that those with more experience with this router might have an idea why when I direct connect to the modem I get around 98% efficiency but when I connect to the router, in this case only with the LAN connection just to see if I can get an instance of full speed, the speed efficiency drops to about 35%.  All factors such as "oh you must have a virus" would affect the direct connect, firewalls and anti-virus programs would affect the direct connect, cabling has been switched such that the Modem to Router link has been configured into Modem to PC so it isn't the cable since in ALL scenarios the direct connection essentially provides 250 out of 250 Mbps speed.

I speak from a past history of 'debug sessions' where unlike home ISP connections it was required to determine if the problem was on the other side of the demarcation side so yes I do realize this is hard but in this situation I can be assured of two specific certainties; first the WAN demarcation side is providing exactly what is contracted as I can run direct connect at 250 Mbps for days on end so there is no purpose in investigating if the ISP is the problem, second, the moment the PC is reconnected to the router the speed goes to **bleep** so the issue not that the "R7000P might be the cause" but rather that the "R7000P is the cause."  This is why I added the PC configuration because maybe the router hates the new AMD Ryzen processors, or the ASUS X370 Pro motherboards, (can't really imagine the Nighthawk hates Windows 10 or Netgear would be out of business).  That said this system is rather current for example the Ryzen 7 1700 is currently rated as one of the top 5 home computer processors out there and no I am not bragging but rather wonder if there is a large enough sample out there of people with what is a reasonably advanced PC configuration and also a R7000P router?

So while I appreciate your candor I am rather hoping that someone will say "I had/have the same problem and I fixed it/couldn't fix it".

I mean worst case scenario if I have a monster download just wait until no one in the house needs the network and direct connect but that is such an inelegant solution.

Message 3 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Have you tried cloning your PC's MAC address onto the R7000P?

Message 4 of 8
T-Tarkus
Tutor

> Have you tried cloning your PC's MAC address onto the R7000P?

Ooooh... sexy!  Question though.  I know how I could do that on Cisco Router without conflict but before I go that route on a less sophisticated router what happens to the other wired PCs and WIFI devices on the LAN if I let the router and my PC share the same MAC?  Won't at least the other PCs find a conflict?

I must confess though this is something I would have never thought of.

Message 5 of 8

@T-Tarkus wrote:
This is why I added the PC configuration because maybe the router hates the new AMD Ryzen processors, or the ASUS X370 Pro motherboards, (can't really imagine the Nighthawk hates Windows 10 or Netgear would be out of business).

I am surprised that your years of "debug sessions" haven't taught you that Netgear does not care about your operating system and certainly not your CPU. Indeed, it doesn't know about Netgear unless you try to install its software, the desktop genie, for example.

The only bit of your PC that matters in this context is the LAN connection and its drivers. If this is a self-built PC, then Windows 10 is likely to have slapped generic LAN drivers on the installation rather than those written by the chipset makers. Then again, that would also affect the direct connection to the modem, so I think we can rule that out.

Forgive me for not going into your lengthy reply in detail, but your response adds nothing in the way of information and doesn't show if you played around with the QoS settings on your router.

That was the point of my search. People have found that these settings can interfere with LAN speed.

Forget about the R7000P. The issue you see affects various models. So widen your search.

PS If it matters, and I don't see why it should, I am also of the retirement generation, although I still manage to sell a few words to while away some of the hours that I am not wasting here.

Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

The cloning is happening on the WAN side of the router. The other PCs won't see a conflict.
Message 7 of 8
T-Tarkus
Tutor

Thanks to those who attempted assistance.  The solution turned out to be returning the Netgear router and purchasing an Asus 2400 instead.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7