Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7350 Married to a AT&T BGW200-700

Timlab55
Guide

R7350 Married to a AT&T BGW200-700

I'm going to make this as short as possible.  If anyone who is reading this knows about the BGW200-700 Gateway/Router will know that the types of services it offers is very low class.  Besides getting fibre optic installed and having great speeds and paying out of the a$$ for it, you know what I mean.  So on my quest of what I could do in order to set up a home webserver, I purchased the R7350 router to put behind the Gateway in IP Passthrough Mode, talk to the R7350 and be on my way.  According to the speed test I'm running, from the road to my gateway I'm getting 995/MBs.  From my gateway to my R7350 I'm getting 423,15 Mbps down and 693.32 Mbps up.  Still a far cry from 995 Mbps.  So today I put my BGW into IP Passthrough (following their examples), and during the setup the BGW gave me a message "because we don't want any problems we are going to put your ip addresses into the 10.0.0 range as my BGW ip range was in the 192.168.1.  Would this slow down my speeds?  The R7350 also put me in router mode and not AP or bridge mode.  I really would like to stay in router mode because of all the great services I'll still be getting.  In the other two, I should just stay with ATT and be done with it.  Also, there is one service I'll be checking out later and that is according to the router I can setup a static ip address.  If this is true, I'm in seven heaven.  Another question is, what kind of security service does the R7350 have as far as protection goes from the outside world?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7350 Married to a AT&T BGW200-700

Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

that gateway is kind of POS.

I've seen some people get ip passthrough working fine on it while others struggled. 

Some have used its DMZ to get the netgear everything forwarded. 

And some still can't get full speed with those options and have had to use AP mode on the Netgear. 

You might have to experiement and try things. 

I thing though. Factory reset the R7350. During the install of it,make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. Those features require packet inspection and it puts a burden on the R7350's cpu. It doesn't have the power to do packet inspection and pass through full gigabit speeds. 

Message 2 of 6
Timlab55
Guide

Plemans your great!  The first thing I turned off was QoS.  On everything including the WiFi.  Wow I when from 300 MB/s to 850 MB/s. S Where should I send the check to?  

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Lol. You can just set it as 'solved'. 

Glad it got it up and working better for you 🙂

Merry Christmas!

Message 4 of 6
Timlab55
Guide

Just ran my last speed test for the day.  Figure I would show you.  Again, thanks and Merry holidays to you  and your family.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7