Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Ethernet doesn't work after updating to Firmware Version 1.0.2.86

thompsondc
Tutor

R7800 Ethernet doesn't work after updating to Firmware Version 1.0.2.86

After updating to firmware 1.0.2.86, and several reboots, reconnections, flushes, etc, ethernet ports on r7800 don't work. All of the aforementioned efforts got the wifi working again, but not wired connections.
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7800 Ethernet doesn't work after updating to Firmware Version 1.0.2.86

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like you were not able to obtain the Ubiquiti ER-10x.  Don't let the Voxel firmware option escape from your list of possible solutions.

@thompsondc wrote:
Update: because of the supply chain issues, I'm going to opt for a microtik or tp-link router that's vlan capable. Then I'll use my old Linksys routers as access points. If I need a 3rd access point, I'll use this x4s as an AP only

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Did you update the firmware via a real computer and web browser connected to the router with an ethernet cable?

Two thoughts, after the firmware update did your various reboots, reconnections, flushes and etc. include a firmware default reset?  Accomplished by pressing the recessed reset button for 7 to 15 seconds while the router is powered on.

If the firmware defaut reset does not restore your ethernet port function, there is a chance the update resulted in corrupted firmware.  The proper course of action would be to reflash the firmware followed by a firmware default reset. 

Message 2 of 11
thompsondc
Tutor

I'm still confirming, but as of 7:30(ish)am (EST) today, all ports are working again. Without further interaction by me.

After the firmware update (around 4:00pm EST) yesterday evening, I didn't have any internet connection.  Then, after multiple reboots of both the modem and router (each time, confirming the modem was functioning fine, by directly wiring a laptop to it), I got wifi back, but not ethernet.  The only configuration difference from rebooting to this morning was that I turned off MAC filtering, and allow anything with the SSID and password to connect.  This should not have affected it.

To answer your question, I did not do a button-reboot (not really a "hard" reboot, if you don't press and hold...).  I've actually never had to do that after a firmware update, as the router always reboots itself after the firmware update.  Occassionally, I've had to reboot it again afterward, but I've always done it via the web GUI or app.

Two things that I'm noticing (aside from this inexplicable hardware failure for several hours):

1. I've disabled automatic firmware updates, but I generally check for them once or twice a week, so it's never more than a day or two behind; however it seems the moment new firmware is available, it stops providing internet to everything.  That is what alerted me to the need this time around.  It's incredibly frustrating, as it temporarily "bricks" the router, and defeats the purpose of allowing the user/owner to disable automatic updates.

2. I've had issues in the past where it has gotten "stuck" and provided intermittent internet to household devices.  One such issue was so bad for several days, and testing with my ISP, that I had to completely factory reset and rebuild my network.  Considering that I use IP reservations to keep track of my home network, that I have 4 children, work and personal devices, and home automation devices; that's a lot of work to redo.

Frankly, I'm tired of these problems with Netgear.  I thought I had found a reliable manufacturer for my home network, but it's caused a ton of frustration and wasted time.  I'm looking at enterprise manufacturers from now on.

Message 3 of 11
Kitsap
Master

In my post, a firmware default reset is entirely different from a reboot.  After a firmware default reset you have to configure your router from scratch and not use a configuration file saved from a different version of firmware.  Yes, it is a serious effort.

I agree with your searching out enterprise level hardware as opposed to consumer/home grade hardware.  UniFi makes some outstanding products.

If you keep your R7800 around, suggest you look into firmware from Voxel.  Voxel 

Good luck!

Message 4 of 11
thompsondc
Tutor

Gotcha.  I should've read that properly, as of course a reset would be what you said.  Yes, I actually tried using the saved config during that "incident" and it didn't work.  I'm not eager to go through that again. 

It's funny you mention UniFi.  I've actually been thinking about the ER-10x (or other variant, but I don't need POE).  I want to split my network and segregate the kids' stuff, guest network, IOT, and important stuff (my wife's and mine) into VLANs.  I was thinking of using an ERX for DHCP, VLAN, and routing; and using the X4S as a glorified access point.  I have a spare EA4500 (Linksys) laying around, so I'd just need another access point.

Message 5 of 11
thompsondc
Tutor

RJ45 ports (Ethernet) not working again. Happy veterans day! Thanks Netgear. You suck.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you load up Voxels FW? 

@thompsondc wrote:
RJ45 ports (Ethernet) not working again. Happy veterans day! Thanks Netgear. You suck.

Message 7 of 11
thompsondc
Tutor

I haven't tried it. Honestly, my work computer and my wife's are dependent upon the router working. Because the wireless is still working, we're getting by. I've already purchased a Ubiquiti ER-10x that I'm waiting for. Once i have it, the Netgear will be disposable and i can try flashing other firmware. Right now we're just in limbo. It really is annoying, as it Plex server is on a NAS that is wired only, so it's unusable (the Netgear won't even do basic routing along the wired devices).
Message 8 of 11
thompsondc
Tutor

Update: because of the supply chain issues, I'm going to opt for a microtik or tp-link router that's vlan capable. Then I'll use my old Linksys routers as access points. If I need a 3rd access point, I'll use this x4s as an AP only
Message 9 of 11
Kitsap
Master

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like you were not able to obtain the Ubiquiti ER-10x.  Don't let the Voxel firmware option escape from your list of possible solutions.

@thompsondc wrote:

Message 10 of 11
thompsondc
Tutor

I'll give it a try.  I think I'm going to get a Microtik.  I still want to segregate my home network, and since I found a second extra old linksys, the netgear is completely disposable.  I can do what I want with it, including flashing it with new firmware.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7