Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 keeps resetting to default config after power cycle

p_the_b
Aspirant

R7800 keeps resetting to default config after power cycle

Hi 🙂

Seems I'm not the only one whose R7800 keeps forgetting its configuration and reverting to default settings every once in a while:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-router-keeps-resetting-to-default-conf...

That thread has been closed.

I bought this router a bit more than half a year ago (Oct 2020), and since it's connected to a UPS it "only" happened twice so far, but it's pretty annoying. Especially, because it's disrupting our office infrastructure.

Could Netgear please comment on this?

Is this a known hardware issue?

Could it be fixed by a different firmware? (current: V1.0.2.78)

Is there anything I can do to use my (rather expensive) router reliably?

Grateful for any advice 🙂

Netgear's policy to only provide support 3 months after a product has been bought is ridiculous!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: R7800 keeps resetting to default config after power cycle

This is a hardware issue on models that use Macronix NAND flash chips - apparently they're not soldered well. There is very little you can do to fix it, except swap it for one that uses Spansion/SkyWorks NAND. A workaround is on the SNB forums but I can't find the thread now.

Message 2 of 4
p_the_b
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for this information! 🙂

@netgear

So how do I get my hardware replaced with one that works, without encountering additional (unknown) costs?

I am seriously disappointed of you! I still have warranty on the hardware, but when I started an RMA request, it pointed me to a phone number I had to call within 24 hours, telling me the call's not going to be for free - and not telling me any rates. The number written was even without a country code.

I bought Netgear, because I wanted quality and support - but it seems these times are over.

Message 3 of 4
p_the_b
Aspirant

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7