Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing a ATT 2wire gateway

joseph-et
Aspirant

Replacing a ATT 2wire gateway

Can I replace my ATT 2wire gateway Model 4111N-031  with a Netgear product?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Replacing a ATT 2wire gateway

AT&T requires their gateways to be used. You can, however, connect your own router to it. If you do this, you will want to enable the IP Passthrough option on their gateway.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

AT&T requires their gateways to be used. You can, however, connect your own router to it. If you do this, you will want to enable the IP Passthrough option on their gateway.
Message 2 of 9
joseph-et
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that would be the case. of AT&T reqiring the use of their box. M y 2wire gateway Model 4111N-031 has been spontaneously re-setting itself which causes an issue with our security camers.  It's also very slow. I ordered a new Gateway from ATT,  the same model they promised, but I received a Netgear with no extra Ethernet Ports. Where do I plug-in my secruity system?  NOT!  I returned the thing.

I'm paying for "up to 25 MBPS" and getting "1.3 MBPS" download.

Thinking about switching to Wave Cable.  Someone suggested using the "netgear Nighthawk X8." Hope it has the extra ports and WiFi.

Joseph

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Do you remember the model number of the Netgear they sent you?
Message 4 of 9
joseph-et
Aspirant

I think it was netgear 6200. It was very small maybe 5" x 5" most. One input port, one output port. Looked tiny.

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Probably not.  A R6200 is a square almost 8" per side.  And it has multiple ports.

Message 6 of 9
joseph-et
Aspirant

It maybe a model amde just for AT & T

Here's a link  https://www.att.com/accessories/specialty-items/netgear-dsl-modem-model-6200.html#sku=sku8150392

Looks like it's VERY poorly rated.

I think the were trying to do a number on e.

Going to cable soon.

Oh well!

Message 7 of 9
William10a
Master

You feed the lan port of the modem into the internet(wan)port of a router which should you to connect the security system and give wifi as well.

Message 8 of 9
joseph-et
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice. ☺

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements