Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow wired internet speed

yelnod66
Guide

Slow wired internet speed

Hello,

I am having trouble with my wired internect connection while using this router.  My set-up is as follows:

MODEM > ROUTER > ETHERNET SWITCH > PATCH PANEL > ETHERNET WALL PLATE

So, I have my entire house wired with keystone jacks in every room.  I bought this Nighthawk to replace a 10+ year old router that was going on the fritz.  When it worked, I was getting between 20-25 Mbps download speed on my wired connections.

I installed the Nighthawk as per the instruction manual, and initially the wired speeds were similar.  Within five minutes, my wired speeds have dropped to a consistent 3 Mbps.  I've checked the speeds using several different tests and they all have similar results.

According to the Netgear Genie, I am running Firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.  Also, I have the cord running between the ethernet switch and the router plugged into port 1, and port 1's light is glowing orange.

Is there some setting I need to change, or some configuration I need to set up that is not found in the instruction manual?  Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Slow wired internet speed

Try disabling Downstream QoS and retest.  Sometimes, but not always, QoS is more trouble than it's worth.

You will find keyword blocking by logging into the R7000.

Also, consider uninstalling Netgear Genie from your PC.  While it can be a nifty way of managing your router, it's not required.  I've heard that it can sometimes interfere with proper operation of the PC. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
yelnod66
Guide

For some reason it didn't include my model number...

Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router

Model R7000

Message 2 of 9
TheEther
Guru

An orange light on the R7000 indicates that the port is running at 100 Mbps.  Is your switch a Gigabit or Fast Ethernet switch?  If it's Gigabit, then you should check your cable.  One or more wires in the cable is faulty.

Message 3 of 9
yelnod66
Guide

It's a 16 port 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch.
Message 4 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Have you tried a PC to PC speed test?

Do you have any advanced features enabled on the R7000, like QoS, port forwarding, traffic metering, keyword blocking, etc.?

Message 5 of 9
yelnod66
Guide

Thanks for the replies, by the way...

I haven't tried a PC to PC speed test.  I ran a speed test on the old modem before disconnection and the final reading was 22 Mbps.  After installation, the first Nighthawk reading was 24 Mbps.  A second reading taken around five minutes later was the 3 Mbps, which is what I'm still getting.

As far as advanced features, I haven't changed anything from the factory settings.  Here's what you asked about:

QoS: Upstream is not enabled, but Downstream IS enabled.  Also, the Streaming Database Auto Update is enabled as well.

Port Forwarding: I found port forwarding under the Advanced Setup tab in the Genie, but I can't see where it says if it is enabled or not?

Traffic Metering: Not enabled

Keyword Blocking: Not sure where to find this setting?

Message 6 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Try disabling Downstream QoS and retest.  Sometimes, but not always, QoS is more trouble than it's worth.

You will find keyword blocking by logging into the R7000.

Also, consider uninstalling Netgear Genie from your PC.  While it can be a nifty way of managing your router, it's not required.  I've heard that it can sometimes interfere with proper operation of the PC. 

Message 7 of 9
yelnod66
Guide

Well, it seems as though disabling Downstream QoS has solved the issue.  Over the last half an hour, I have tried several different speed tests and gotten consistent results between 22-24 Mbps.  Thanks for the help!  Very appreciative.

Also, I wasn't using the Netgear Genie program.  I was logging into the router using routerlogin.net, which refers to itself as Netgear Genie as well.

Again, thank you for the help.  It seems as though my issue has been solved!

Message 8 of 9
VE6CGX
Master

Logic tells me you should test the speed connecting PC to router LAN port without switch.  If it is OK, then plug the switch in move the

PC to switch LAN port, if still OK then patch panel then to your room. Trouble-shooting is nothing special just a logical process of

elimination. This way you can narrow down to where the trouble is.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7