Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smart Connect with Extender

larrylato
Aspirant

Smart Connect with Extender

Does  a Netgear EX3700 work with Smart Connect setting on the R8000? After switching to Smart Connect, all my wireless bands list as one SSID but the (EXT) bands still show as "Available Networks"!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Smart Connect with Extender

It tends to fall in line with those devices that support mesh. This article: https://kb.netgear.com/000044734/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-Smart-Connect-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-...

shows an "applies to" for devices on the right side. all those have smart connect. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The EX3700 works with the R8000. But the EX3700 isn't a mesh extender so its doing to have a different ssid than the R8000

Message 2 of 9
larrylato
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, the fact that (EXT) is added to the SSID makes that a different SSID name? I  wasn't sure. During extender set up it seems I have option to name the bands the same as my router but I was afraid that would render the configuration  flawed.

Message 3 of 9
theGraduate
Tutor

Did you ever get a reply to your question? I would also rather give the same name instead of adding EXT, or 5GEXT, 2GEXT, etc. 

Thanks. 

@larrylato wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, the fact that (EXT) is added to the SSID makes that a different SSID name? I  wasn't sure. During extender set up it seems I have option to name the bands the same as my router but I was afraid that would render the configuration  flawed.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

@theGraduate You can always name the ssid's the same. but the EX3700 isn't a mesh device. Its going to be "sticky" because it doesn't have any roaming protocols so devices won't roam. they'll stay attached until their signal degrades to unusable or drops entirely. The other problem is because they have the same ssid, you can't switch over easily to the other network (because it has the same name) when the signal does degrade. 

Message 5 of 9
theGraduate
Tutor

Hey, thanks... 

Ok, that makes sense... but does the EX3700 support Smart Connect (similar to the Nighthawk which I am extending) so that I do not have two separate extension names for the 2.4 and 5? 

@plemans wrote:

@theGraduate You can always name the ssid's the same. but the EX3700 isn't a mesh device. Its going to be "sticky" because it doesn't have any roaming protocols so devices won't roam. they'll stay attached until their signal degrades to unusable or drops entirely. The other problem is because they have the same ssid, you can't switch over easily to the other network (because it has the same name) when the signal does degrade. 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

No it doesn't. Its a base model dual band range extender. 

Message 7 of 9
theGraduate
Tutor

Is there a Netgear extender model that can support Smart Connect? 

Thanks again. 

@plemans wrote:

No it doesn't. Its a base model dual band range extender. 

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

It tends to fall in line with those devices that support mesh. This article: https://kb.netgear.com/000044734/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-Smart-Connect-on-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-...

shows an "applies to" for devices on the right side. all those have smart connect. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7