Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Suggestions for Upgrading a N750 N Dual Band To ?

dougjp
Tutor

Suggestions for Upgrading a N750 N Dual Band To ?

The N750 still works, however looking to upgrade to something 'better'. Reasons are; (a) the 750 is over 7 years old, (b) looking to increase my internet speed package and thinking that will expose weaknesses I don't have now, (c) security, and (d) hoping for better powerline speed and wifi distance (the latter isn't a major thing, the house isn't that big and I can get some signal everywhere).

There are so many models, either I throw up my hands and use a dart board to pick one, or try for ideas here!

I don't know if a Nighthawk or a normal router is appropriate. I don't have a smartphone and all wireless devices are using 2.4. I can't imagine ever needing the new AX but maybe AC will help? Two computers and a powerline are ethernet wired to the router. A Laptop doesn't even have a 5G hookup option. Video streaming is the main volume use.

I'm thinking of spending around $ 200- but that is flexible. Like most everyone, i don't want to spent way more for something that doesn't do more for my situation.

I really am lost with all the options out there, and would appreciate some help :).  

Model: WNDR4000|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
dougjp
Tutor

Re: Suggestions for Upgrading a N750 N Dual Band To ?

Thanks, yes I needed directions around this place, and they are helpful. Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies

A good place to start is with the product pages. Fill in your needs and circumstances, and see what comes up.

Routers here:

Wifi Router | Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Fancier stuff with a focus on wifi here:

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

See what takes your fancy, and what fits in with your budget. Then check this place for users views. (But remember this place is where people bring problems, not praise.) And see if you can find a review site that covers what you are thinking of buying.

Message 2 of 9
dougjp
Tutor

Thanks, yes I needed directions around this place, and they are helpful. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9

Whatever you do, don't get sucked into anything too complicated.

What with your powerline setup, and the intended us, you don't need lots of bells and whistles, especially the newest wifi stuff which seems to be causing great grief as the standard settle down. You are right to beware AX.

I'd say stick to your budget. For $200 you can get something of a workhorse nature.

I am happy with my ageing R7800, one of the least troublesome routers discussed around here.

By the way, you may not need anything better to work with a faster Internet service. The WNDR4000 is up to most things, unless you are going to Gb.

Message 4 of 9
dougjp
Tutor

Thanks again for more excellent advice!

I've been researching for hours, and for my needs, my existing 60 mbps download service is probably enough. I only get 20 mbps through powerline which I guess isn't an unusual drop, and getting more mbps from my ISP was an attempt to 'force through' better speed in the powerline, but that may not happen. 

Another thing, I'm reading reviews about people having hours of problems with Netgear setup, because like me they didn't own a smartphone where the new Netgear app has to go, is by far my biggest concern about getting anything.  

Message 5 of 9

@dougjp wrote:

I've been researching for hours, and for my needs, my existing 60 mbps download service is probably enough. I only get 20 mbps through powerline which I guess isn't an unusual drop, and getting more mbps from my ISP was an attempt to 'force through' better speed in the powerline, but that may not happen. 

Which Powerline? Faster Internet will do nothing for plugs that are already at their limit.

Newer plugs aren't just faster over the mains, they also have Gb LAN ports. Good for the devices you connect.

My PLP1000 plugs do a lot better than 20 Mbps. I use them to run an Orbi router in AP mode. Gets >60 Mbps, my Internet speed.

New plugs might be a cheaper upgrade then a router. Bit that depends on the use. My TV streaming happily runs on slower (AV500) plugs. The TV streaming hardware delivers no faster than 100 Mbps.

@dougjp wrote:

Another thing, I'm reading reviews about people having hours of problems with Netgear setup, because like me they didn't own a smartphone where the new Netgear app has to go, is by far my biggest concern about getting anything.  

Experienced users go nowhere near a smartphone for setup. Browser graphical user interface (GUI) all the way. If you are used to that one the WNDR4000 stick with it.

Orbi tries to force mobile apps on us, which is one reason to avoid it.

Message 6 of 9
dougjp
Tutor

What can I say, incredible advice! Thank you!

I always though it was the house wiring that was solely responsible for the big speed drop with powerline. Never thought of the powerline itself being part/all of the bottleneck. So I looked into my powerline and, it was bought over 6 years ago, and is a Trendnet 500 mbps.

I'm going to replace that now, then look at buying a new Netgear router shortly after that. Yes I find the Browser GUI to be just fine. I'm looking at AC1750 and AC1900.   

Message 7 of 9

@dougjp wrote:

I always though it was the house wiring that was solely responsible for the big speed drop with powerline. Never thought of the powerline itself being part/all of the bottleneck. So I looked into my powerline and, it was bought over 6 years ago, and is a Trendnet 500 mbps.

I had AV500 plugs, still do for my TV streaming, but moved to PLP1000 when I decided to use them for the Orbi AP. The 1000 Mbps LAN ports also help.

Remember, you can also get plugs with an integrated wifi AP at the "remote" end, just in case you have devices there that could benefit from better wifi.

Also check to see if you could use plugs with a pair of LAN ports at the far end. I had to buy a singleton from a different brand to get that.

Netgear and some other makers don't sell single plugs. So it helps to work out what you need before you part with your money.

@dougjp wrote:

Yes I find the Browser GUI to be just fine. I'm looking at AC1750 and AC1900.   

Good enough for most purposes. Check comments around here. The original R7000 was Netgear's mainstream router for a while. The R7000P has been a bit more problematic, although mine has worked fine.

But, as I said, the cognoscenti rate the R7800 (AC2600) as the current workhorse model. Mine has been flawless.

Message 8 of 9
dougjp
Tutor

Just wanted to update you and thank you again. Just installed a new Netgear dual ethernet port powerline, and my internet speed improved by over 50%. I'll give it a while before any further upgrading.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7