Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using AC-1900 as router only on COX network

twoodruf35
Follower

Using AC-1900 as router only on COX network

I have a AC-1900 I was using with Centurylink service. I recently upgraded to COX cable service. I am using the supplied Docsis modem/router from COX configured in bridge mode and running it into a TP-Link TL-R470T+ Load Balancing Router. From there I was wanting to employ the AC-1900 as a wi-fi router. Is this possible? I had read somewhere that the AC-1900 is not compatible with COX service. But being that I am not wanting to use it as a modem and only a router, can I somehow configure it to do this? Needs to be a wired connection, not a wireless AP. Going to use the ethernet ports as well as the wifi. Not a complete noob to networking, but still pretty uneducated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: Using AC-1900 as router only on COX network

@twoodruf35 wrote:

I have a AC-1900 I was using with Centurylink service. I recently upgraded to COX cable service. I am using the supplied Docsis modem/router from COX configured in bridge mode and running it into a TP-Link TL-R470T+ Load Balancing Router. From there I was wanting to employ the AC-1900 as a wi-fi router. Is this possible? I had read somewhere that the AC-1900 is not compatible with COX service. But being that I am not wanting to use it as a modem and only a router, can I somehow configure it to do this? Needs to be a wired connection, not a wireless AP. Going to use the ethernet ports as well as the wifi. Not a complete noob to networking, but still pretty uneducated.

Here is the manual for the router/load balancer http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4910_TL-R470T+.html#overview

One limit to your internet speed is the above device has a 100 mb limit, the unit has one fixed output lan that will feed the router.

The other ports are one fixed wan(internet) port plus three other lam/wan(internet) ports which are switchable could handle if you add another isp were this unit comes in its own if anything like other units like this that combine more then one internet source into lan output.

Netgear routers work with Cox cable service as once the internet data leaves the modem any router with a Wan(internet) port will work you may have seen were some Netgear modems have a issue with cable and dsl isps that because the isps are not updating the modems firmware for non rental devices from them , the TP-Link is the limiting factor in the network trying set up because of it's lan port speed limit and the way you configure the Tp-Link.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
William10a
Master

@twoodruf35 wrote:

Here is the manual for the router/load balancer http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4910_TL-R470T+.html#overview

One limit to your internet speed is the above device has a 100 mb limit, the unit has one fixed output lan that will feed the router.

The other ports are one fixed wan(internet) port plus three other lam/wan(internet) ports which are switchable could handle if you add another isp were this unit comes in its own if anything like other units like this that combine more then one internet source into lan output.

Netgear routers work with Cox cable service as once the internet data leaves the modem any router with a Wan(internet) port will work you may have seen were some Netgear modems have a issue with cable and dsl isps that because the isps are not updating the modems firmware for non rental devices from them , the TP-Link is the limiting factor in the network trying set up because of it's lan port speed limit and the way you configure the Tp-Link.

Message 2 of 3

@twoodruf35 wrote:

I had read somewhere that the AC-1900 is not compatible with COX service. But being that I am not wanting to use it as a modem and only a router, can I somehow configure it to do this?

This is puzzling. Your message says that you are talking about an R7000. That is a router, not a modem.

But you also refer to AC1900. That's not a Netgear model number. It is a wifi speed thing that Netgear uses to describe a handful of different modems and routers, including the R7000.

A router should just take the Internet from your modem and pass it on to other devices, although you may have to tweak the Cox modem.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7