Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN on Nighthawk R6700 . What is OPEN VPN? hows that different from my VPN

wathaifi
Aspirant

VPN on Nighthawk R6700 . What is OPEN VPN? hows that different from my VPN

Can anyone explain please how is openVPN diffrent from the VPN service im subscribed to now? Private Internet Access?

I'm also aunable to acces OpenVPN website because its blocked here, how can i get the file that I need to setup my router by other means?

thanks

Moe

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: VPN on Nighthawk R6700 . What is OPEN VPN? hows that different from my VPN

Hi wathaifi,

For the OpenVPN, this is not possible. I am not sure with other 3rd party VPN since most VPNs needs a software to install.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi wathaifi,

You can check this KB on how to configure the OpenVPN.

https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-cli...

Message 2 of 10
wathaifi
Aspirant

Thanks you. What I'm trying to do is setup the VPN so that all devices on my home network access teh internet through VPN. this is not what the process in teh link intends do

Message 3 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi wathaifi,

The OpenVPN function is to let remote devices connects to your network through VPN. It will let remote devices connects to the internet through your network using the OpenVPN.

Message 4 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi wathaifi,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 10
wathaifi
Aspirant

Hi James,

My issue is still not resolved. What I'm trying to do is use your router and at the same time have all my connected devices access the internent throught VPN. Including my Vonage phone.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi wathaifi,

If the devices that you want to connect to the internet via VPN are connected to the NETGEAR router, then OpenVPN does not work that way. The OpenVPN is applicable if your device is in remote area and is not connected to the R6700 router. It needs a software as well for it to work which the Vonage phone will not be able to connect through VPN. 

Message 7 of 10
wathaifi
Aspirant

Thanks James. So there is no solution to this problem? I have a Smart TV, Vonage & a Roku , they are all connected to my home network. Does your answer mean that there is nothing that I can do to setup VPN using this router so that they are all connected to the internet through VPN ?
Message 8 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi wathaifi,

For the OpenVPN, this is not possible. I am not sure with other 3rd party VPN since most VPNs needs a software to install.

Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi wathaifi,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7