Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi dropping connections constantly, I have tried everything

_chris
Tutor

Wifi dropping connections constantly, I have tried everything

I cannot seem to solve this one. I'm just so frustrated that I'm ready to get a new router that isn't Netgear (maybe Ubiquiti/UniFi?). I have been very happy with this rotuer for years, but I just can't get a stable wifi connection since I moved to my new house. I know my way around networking so I've tried all the basics and I'm just out of ideas. Here are the things I've tried:

• Contact Netgear support. They suggested basic things such as changing the wifi channel, etc.. but after I replied doing all their suggestions they stopped responding to me and I have not had a reply back in about 3 weeks (I've followed up a few times). Not sure why they won't get backto me. I was trying to get it replaced via warranty, but I believe I have been abandoned.
  • Factory reset the router and reconfigured
  • Purchased a second router (same model) and migrated the settings via a backup
  • Changing wifi channels, I used an app on my phone to scan nearby wifi signals to find a channel that had the least amount of networks
  • I had the router plugged into a UPS (backup power) and thought maybe it was causing noise on the line, I've tried from the wall and from UPS
  • Disabling all non-essential features
  • Reinstalling latest firmware V1.0.9.64_10.2.64
  • Disabled nearby devices that also had their own wifi networks (such as printers)

All of the above has resulted in the same problem. Seemly randomly (I can't go more then 24 hours) a bunch of devices start to disconnect from the Wifi. They either stay connected and have no network access or disconnect and are unable to re-connect. Occasionally those devices that are experiencing the problem will show up as "Wired" on the "Attached Devices" list. Once this happens the only option to resolve it is to reboot the router. I have no additional access points here, everything is wireless except for 2 devices which are my main machine and my home server. The wired connection never has any problems. When the wifi does work, my network speeds are very fast (I can peak around 400Mbps from the other side of the house). Devices showing the issue are anywhere from 2 feet away to 25ft away, distance doesn't seem to matter.

I don't know what to do and I am open to ideas. I have two R7000 routers here (one is brand new, one is 3 years old) doing the same thing. on the same firmware version. I have considered reverting the firmware, but I'm not sure which version to revert to.

It takes me about an hour to reconfigure the router every time I need to reset it. There are anywhere from 25 - 35 devices connected to the wifi at anytime. I've wasted probably 7-8 hours debugging this over the course of 2 months because it takes time to wait for the wifi to start to fail again. I've also noticed that both routers (over the course of 24 hours after a reboot) are making a slight buzzing sound that seems to get louder and louder up until the wifi fails.... not sure if related.

Maybe I just got two buggy units? Maybe it's the firmware? Maybe there's some kind of wifi interference there isn't another wifi signal?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
_chris
Tutor

Re: Wifi dropping connections constantly, I have tried everything

Currently using 1.0.9.32 without issue for 72 hours now.

The .42 firmware has a bug with the VPN so I can't use that one since  I use the VPN alot.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

That's about the complete list why many experienced people here don't touch .64 firmware ... and operate older firmware instead.

Message 2 of 13
_chris
Tutor

Do you happen to know which one is stable? Hopefully I can avoid wasting hours testing 4 or 5 different firmware versions.

Message 3 of 13
_chris
Tutor

IIRC 1.0.9.32 was pretty stable, right after that the VPN was broken and now the wifi is, I guess. Probably start with that one...

Message 4 of 13
nji1000
Tutor

Certainly the NetSpot application has been helpful in visualising that, for me at least, part of the problem has been the signal starting and stopping.

One tip that was suggested was reducing the power from 100% to a lower level. Watching the Signal and Noise graph  on NetSpot I noticed (sorry no pics - its dropped off the end of the track now) that

- the R7000 swapped from randomly turning the 2.4G on and off to providing that consistently and to turning the 5G on and off instead

- when working, there was no appreciable difference in measured signal weather at 75% or 100%

I also have tried one other change, which has for the last 6 hours at least given stable signals in 2.4 and 5G according to the graph and that was to turn off SmartConnect. Whether this has actually done anything is another matter, but whereas most of the day has had one or other signal going on and off I've  had a steady signal since then. 

netgear issues.png

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 13
_chris
Tutor

Thanks, I will see if messing with the power levels makes any difference. Although I doubt it will. Also, I have never used SmartConnect, I don't trust anything that says "Smart" in it.

Message 6 of 13
jsturess
Apprentice

I have same problem with my orbi system

Message 7 of 13
yddtime
Luminary

If you read the many threads on this the general consensus is that .42 is the last stable version.
Message 8 of 13
_chris
Tutor

Currently using 1.0.9.32 without issue for 72 hours now.

The .42 firmware has a bug with the VPN so I can't use that one since  I use the VPN alot.

Message 9 of 13
Wigglez
Aspirant

I am having same problem, it got worse when I did factory reset.  on my second on becouse I thought the first one was broke.  Now doing same thing.  so fustrating.  I have tried the ethernet cable route and makes no difference.  If I finally get it working it powers off.  Ugh!!!!!

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 10 of 13
_chris
Tutor

Just downgrade to 1.0.9.32. It's been very stable for me.

Message 11 of 13
Wigglez
Aspirant

where do I find 1.0.9.32.?  I looked at downloads and not listed.  thanks for your help

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 12 of 13
_chris
Tutor

You can find it here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Changing firmware isn't like installing a program on your computer, make sure you follow the instructions and read over the "important note" so you dont break your router. Also, when you downgrade, make sure you factory reset before AND after installing the firmware (to be safe).

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7