Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired throughput of a WNDR3700?

cjsmall
Initiate

Wired throughput of a WNDR3700?

Router: WNDR3700v2 100NAS

Firmware: V1.0.1.14

I have a LAN with a TP-LINK gigabit switch attached to this router, which is attached to an Xfinity XB7-T cable modem. The LAN DHCP wifi is restricted to .151-.175 range.  The basic equipment (computers, printers, etc) are hardwired and have static IP addresses.  The computers run Xubuntu Linux and Windows 10.

I have 1,000 Mbps internet service, but I can get no more than around 430 Mbps throughput max.  Is this rwifi router the bottleneck?  What hardwired speeds should I be able to achieve with this configuration?

Thanks for any insights.

Model: WNDR3700v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Wired throughput of a WNDR3700?

I'd be betting on it being the bottleneck. when the WNDR3700 was released 12 years ago, netgear claimed it hit wired speeds of up to 500mbps. It had a gigabit port but at that time, not many devices could hit full gig speeds. And if an ISP was offering gig speeds, it was through business class setups. 

Smallnetbuilder did a review and test on it 12 years ago when it was released. I'd take a read through through that but they were maxing out around the speeds you're hitting. 

Gentlemen, Start Your Buying: NETGEAR WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router Reviewed...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@cjsmall wrote:

I have a LAN with a TP-LINK gigabit switch attached to this router, which is attached to an Xfinity XB7-T cable modem.

So, the order is modem > router > switch? (I ask because one recent user seems to have modem > switch > router.)

Some stuff I find in Google describes the XB7 as a gateway, in other words a modem/router. Is yours a modem only variant?

The WNDR3700 does do gigabit but it is pretty old (2010).

Of course, wifi speeds will never get anywhere near gigabit and wifi won't be up to much either.

@cjsmall wrote:

I have 1,000 Mbps internet service, but I can get no more than around 430 Mbps throughput max. 

What speeds do you measure from the XB7, before it hits the WNDR3700?

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

I'd be betting on it being the bottleneck. when the WNDR3700 was released 12 years ago, netgear claimed it hit wired speeds of up to 500mbps. It had a gigabit port but at that time, not many devices could hit full gig speeds. And if an ISP was offering gig speeds, it was through business class setups. 

Smallnetbuilder did a review and test on it 12 years ago when it was released. I'd take a read through through that but they were maxing out around the speeds you're hitting. 

Gentlemen, Start Your Buying: NETGEAR WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router Reviewed...

Message 3 of 4
cjsmall
Initiate

Thanks for the replies.  I did remove the netgear router from the mix and my throughput jumped from 400 to 1,000+, so yes, it was indeed  the bottleneck. 

Model: WNDR3700v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7