Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can't update firmware on R6900 router- app won't work, and routerlogin.com won't connect

colrhino
Tutor

can't update firmware on R6900 router- app won't work, and routerlogin.com won't connect

I can't update the firmware on my Nighthawk R6900 router. The app gives an error message and says try again. when I try www.routerlogin.com or .net I get a message that says I'm not online and not connected to the wifi on my router. I am online as I am typing this over the web !!!!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: can't update firmware on R6900 router- app won't work, and routerlogin.com won't connect

No. Don't "open" it. 

Right click on it (in windows) and go to "extract all"

Use that to extract it. 

then use the method of install you were using. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: can't update firmware on R6900 router- app won't work, and routerlogin.com won't connect

1. what firmware version are you on? 

2. what modem/gateway are you connected to? 

3. have you tried manually updating? 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 8
colrhino
Tutor

Thank you for the reply. After unplugging and disconnecting everything, then doing a factory reset on the router, then plugging it all back up and rebooting, I was able to get the internet access back thru the wifi router, and I was able to connect to the router thru my laptop and www.routerlogin.net, I then tried a manual download, both from the internet and from the saved .chk file on my laptop, and neither was successful. I am currently using version 1.0.2.8 and I was attempting to update to 1.0.2.16_10.0.42 however I get an error message that says "Firmware is invalid" when I try to download the file and update thru the internet, and when trying to manually use the downloaded file using the "Advanced, Administration, Router Update, Browse" method, the update just stops midstream and then I lose my internet connection and have to go back thru the whole process of disconnecting, resetting and rebooting everything to get the internet connection back. I am about ready to give up on the firmware update at this point. I have Comcast, a Netgear CM700 Cable Modem, and the R9600 Netgear router. 

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Did you extract the file? many just download it and open it. it has to be extracted. 

Are you doing it over a hardwired connection to the router? 

Message 4 of 8
colrhino
Tutor

I *think* I extracted it. I opened the file on my computer until I got to the .chk version, the orginal file was of course a .zip file, and then saved the .chk file, then selected that file thru the "Browse" box on the update page. Did I do that correctly? I am hardwired from the laptop to the router thru an ethernet cord, also. Thank you for your assistance!

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

No. Don't "open" it. 

Right click on it (in windows) and go to "extract all"

Use that to extract it. 

then use the method of install you were using. 

Message 6 of 8
colrhino
Tutor

Ok, I did this and it worked ! I now show firmware version 1.0.2.16_10.0.42 as my active version.  Thank you for your patience and your assistance!

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad you got it working!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7