Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

daily wifi dropouts

devourbert
Guide

daily wifi dropouts

Good morning,

Almost on a daily basis, I have to restart my router because the WiFi doesn't work: devices are still connected to the router, but there is no internet (e.g. on the phone the wifi symbol is active, but with an explanation mark next to it). A restart usually helps. Importantly: devices that are connected via cable always keep working, so it is not an issue with the internet provider. Here are the current settings:

devourbert_0-1662690655762.png

devourbert_1-1662690685240.png

Is this a hardware issue? As I said, the router worked fine for years, but now we have to restart it almost daily...

Best wishes,

Heiko

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: daily wifi dropouts

@devourbert wrote:

but the router interface couldn't connect.

What does that mean? Some sort of error message? Or nothing happened?

The automated update process is not infallible, especially when there are several updates for it to take in.

I have now manually downloaded the latest version and installed it. I hope this will fix the issue.

You may have to reset and reconfigure the router if the problem persists.

I don't have the modem details at hand (it sits in the garage), but the thing is that the whole set-up worked well for years. I hope the new firmware will resolve the daily drop-outs.

That could be essential detail. Something that worked fine for years can still go wrong if modem and router end up rebooting themselves in ways that scramble their settings.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

@devourbert wrote:

Good morning,

Almost on a daily basis, I have to restart my router because the WiFi doesn't work: devices are still connected to the router, but there is no internet (e.g. on the phone the wifi symbol is active, but with an explanation mark next to it).

Your firmware is four or five versions out of date.

Start by updating that.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 5
devourbert
Guide

Thank you!

Funny enough: automatic firmware updates were enabled

devourbert_0-1662762417870.png

.. but it obviously didn't update anything! I clicked on "check internet" , but the router interface couldn't connect. I have now manually downloaded the latest version and installed it. I hope this will fix the issue.

I don't have the modem details at hand (it sits in the garage), but the thing is that the whole set-up worked well for years. I hope the new firmware will resolve the daily drop-outs.

Thanks!

Heiko

Message 3 of 5

@devourbert wrote:

but the router interface couldn't connect.

What does that mean? Some sort of error message? Or nothing happened?

The automated update process is not infallible, especially when there are several updates for it to take in.

I have now manually downloaded the latest version and installed it. I hope this will fix the issue.

You may have to reset and reconfigure the router if the problem persists.

That could be essential detail. Something that worked fine for years can still go wrong if modem and router end up rebooting themselves in ways that scramble their settings.

Message 4 of 5
devourbert
Guide

Hello!

It seems the new firmware has resolved the issue.. fingers crossed. 

Cheers!

PS: When I said "nothing happened": it was trying to get the new firmware, but nothing happened... no error message, no progress,... 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7