Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

usb printer setup without readyshare.

CravingphoeniX
Follower

usb printer setup without readyshare.

Okay So my parents' router was recently fried in a bout of terrible storms. I used to swear by netgear, and nighthawks, so because Asus' customer service was really (word that rhymes with kitty but starts with an sh) I recommended they buy a nighthawk. They did. As I went to setup the usb -network printer i discovered i can't do so without installing netgears stupid usb share on every computer that plans on using the shared printer (what about my and their driod tablets and phones?)

But a. thats not really an option. It took me 7 years to teach 1 of them how to send an email (we're still working on the other) and if they have to use a program to use a program to print its not gonna end well for my sanity. 

2. Literally i don't have space to install netgear's bloatware. 

so after searching online for an hour I couldnt' find a any info, so im here at the horse's mouth to hear for myself.

Is there any way to install a usb printer without the stupid usb shareware, or am i boxing this Isht back up and hauling ass back to the store and swearing off Netgear routers? LBVS like a heart attack serious. you take a 6 year hiatus and you can't use usb printers anymore. Thats so trash. 

pls don't tell me I have to find a new router. I would rather not. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: usb printer setup without readyshare.

@CravingphoeniX wrote:

Is there any way to install a usb printer without the stupid usb shareware

Forgive me if I have missed something important in the rest of your message, which doesn't seem to be about getting your printer to work, but can you explain what you mean by "stupid usb shareware"?

Shareware?

Getting a USB printer to work is a one-off process that inevitable requires installing drivers for the printer on every PC that plans to use that printer.

It is the nature of the beast. No drivers=no work.

At least, that's with the printers I have used. Maybe your unnamed printer uses some other magic process to work.

Of course, we don't know how you expect to talk to this printer, so this is all guesswork.  I assume that the printer is plugged into the R7000. But then there is the "wifi versus network" question. Both are possible.

If you mean the "NETGEAR USB Control Center utility", it is mostly there to manage other features like shared USB storage, but if you do need it for your printer, a PC that can't handle a  4 MB program may have a hard time doing anything.

Message 2 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@CravingphoeniX  I don't have Netgear's USB Readyshare utility downloaded and I have my HP printer connected via bluetooth to all of my computers (all four of them) plus two iphones and a Nokia. My HP drivers are installed on my desktop/laptops and the HP app on my phones.

Message 3 of 6

@Portwey84 wrote:

@CravingphoeniX  I don't have Netgear's USB Readyshare utility downloaded and I have my HP printer connected via bluetooth to all of my computers (all four of them) plus two iphones and a Nokia. My HP drivers are installed on my desktop/laptops and the HP app on my phones.

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Is the HP plugged into the router? Just wanted to confirm this to get a complete picture.

Message 4 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@michaelkenward  Printer is connected via WiFi over 2.4ghz, sits about 15 feet away from the router. If I need to print something, I just do it via the official Hp app, either on my phones or via the Microsoft App store Hp app. I think the official Hp App downloads the necessary driver files anyway in order to allow printing.

Message 5 of 6
Hellzwells
Aspirant

@michaelkenward I just wanted to confirm so I have a complete picture: are you always such a total d-bag?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7