× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best router for Cox Fiber

jajaxxon
Aspirant

Best router for Cox Fiber

I have a 5 year old RAX80 that is giving me issues - what do you all recommend for a gigabit fiber connection (Cox Gigablast).   tried a TP-link router :>(( and can't get ti working, so hope to get a new Netgear - what do you recommend?? - thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
jajaxxon
Aspirant

Re: Best router for Cox Fiber

Smart Connect caused 5g to disappear from our devices, but I have learned how it works, so OK with it

Upgrading today to a new RAX120 to get better coverage

Thx for the help, all

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Any router should work with any ISP service. Most routers from 5+ years ago are 1Gb supporting. 

If your having problems with two different branded routers, then something maybe wrong or not working right up stream from the router. 

What issues is the RAX80 giving you? Details are important here.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 

What channel configurations are currently set on the router? 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 7
jajaxxon
Aspirant

I fixed my problem, thanks for all the replies

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

And what was the fix? 

Message 4 of 7
jajaxxon
Aspirant

Smart Connect caused 5g to disappear from our devices, but I have learned how it works, so OK with it

Thx for the help, all

Message 5 of 7

@jajaxxon wrote:

That's not how it works.

As you have probably discovered, 5 GHz didn't "disappear". It is still there but it got bundled in with 2.4 GHz to create a single SSID.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The RAX120 will have same feature. If Smart Connect is disabled, you'll see the separate 5Ghz SSID, if you enable Smart Connect on the 120, then devices won't see a separate 5Ghz SSID, however the 5Ghz signal is combine in to 1 SSID name with 2.4Ghz. So it's there, been there all the time. Just using same name as the 2.4Ghz SSID name. 

@jajaxxon wrote:

Thx for the help, all

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7