× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to get the most out of Nighthawk AX5400

jabujakan
Follower

How to get the most out of Nighthawk AX5400

Hey all. I'm a total noob to most of this stuff so please take it easy on me! But I did just purchase a wifi 6 router in the Nighthawk AX5400. My point of this post is to try and gather information to help me get the best performance out of this router. Unfortunately where I live 250mb is the best internet available to me, so that's what I have. I have it connected to my modem using a cat 8 ethernet cable. I've heard you can get better performance out of routers according to what channel you choose for your network? Or by changing the mghz or something? I live in a smaller town/neighborhood and when I search for networks in range there are probably only 3 to 4 neighbors networks that pop up. Thank you all in advance for your tips!

Message 1 of 2

Re: How to get the most out of Nighthawk AX5400

@jabujakan wrote:

But I did just purchase a wifi 6 router in the Nighthawk AX5400.

Which one? AX5400 is not a reliable guide to model number.

Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi technologies.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

I've heard you can get better performance out of routers according to what channel you choose for your network? Or by changing the mghz or something?

That would be the WiFi performance.

Do you have some sort or problem with your WiFi? If you just want to investigate the settings for your devuce, manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

For more on wifi, try this: it might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7