× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have very slow upload speeds

NoobMaster5
Aspirant

I have very slow upload speeds

Hey, I have a Netgear Nighthawk AX4300 and I have had the worst upload speeds ever since I got it. My down is 500 and my up is 22. I have no idea why my upload speed is so slow. My old router (N600) had way more upload speeds up to 300mbps but the new router can barely do 25. Are there any tips to fix this?

Message 1 of 6

Re: I have very slow upload speeds

@NoobMaster5 wrote:

Hey, I have a Netgear Nighthawk AX4300 .....

Which one?

AX4300 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

Probably RAX45.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There can be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

My down is 500 and my up is 22. I have no idea why my upload speed is so slow.

What upload speed are you paying for? It is usually (sometimes a lot) less than the upload speed.

Message 2 of 6
NoobMaster5
Aspirant

Hello

1.  it is the RAX45
  2. The firmware version is V1.0.12.120_2.0.83
  3. The modem I am using is a spectrum modem not sure what model is it but i assume its the latest.
  4. And I want at least 50mpbs by this router cant do that

Message 3 of 6

@NoobMaster5 wrote:

1. The modem I am using is a spectrum modem not sure what model is it but i assume its the latest.

That's an important detail that we need to do proper troubleshooting. Many ISPs supply modem/routers.

And I want at least 50mpbs by this router cant do that

I also asked what upload speed you are paying for.

I should also have asked how you are measuring these speeds. WiFi is always slower than wired.

Feel free to throw in as much detail as possible.

Message 4 of 6
NoobMaster5
Aspirant

Ok here is more details 

1. Regardless I still get slow upload speeds when I'm on wireless and wired. I could be sitting on top of my router and i still would get the same upload speeds
  2. The spectrum modem I am using is the Es2251
  3. I have the 500mbps plan from Spectrum
  4. I use speedtest to test the speed of my internet 
Message 5 of 6

@NoobMaster5 wrote:

I have the 500mbps plan from Spectrum

Is that 500 Mbps up and down?

Check this:

What Are Spectrum Internet’s Upload Speeds? – Review Geek

Read that and you will see that for Spectrum accounts most upload speeds are a fraction of download speeds.

For example, down is 200 or 400 Mbps while up is 10 Mbps. No Spectrum accounts have the same up and down speeds. Even the fastest account has downloads at 1 Gbps with uploads at 35 Mbps.

We can't help to diagnose your problems if you aren't able to answer simple questions.

So, for the third time of asking, what does your contract with the ISP specify for the upload speeds that you are paying for?

What you think you got once upon a time isn't relevant.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7