× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IPv6 Port forwarding

motion4life
Aspirant

IPv6 Port forwarding

I see the options to enable ipv6, but i don't see anything about port forwarding with ipv6.  i'm trying to setup my server to be able to use ipv4 and ipv6. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
microchip8
Master

Re: IPv6 Port forwarding

There is no NAT in IPv6. The address you get is a public one, so there is no NAT and no need for port forwarding.
Message 2 of 11
motion4life
Aspirant

do i need to enable ipv6 on the router then?  what option should i select so that it can be open?

Disabled

Auto Detect

6to4 Tunnel

Pass Through

Fixed

DHCP

PPPoE

Auto Config

6rd

Message 3 of 11
microchip8
Master

If you want an IPv6 address, of course you have to enable IPv6. Start with "Auto Detect".

Do note that the router has an IPv6 firewall that can't be configured by the user. So if you need to open a port for a server, you won't be able to on router level.
Message 4 of 11

@microchip8 wrote:
If you want an IPv6 address, of course you have to enable IPv6. Start with "Auto Detect".

Good advice. It worked for me.

It could also help if we knew which ISP this is and the router involved.

ISPs have different implementations of IPv6.

Not all routers support all variations.

Message 5 of 11
motion4life
Aspirant

Sorry, I thought I put that somewhere on here.

Router: Nighthawk RAX45   

ISP:  Google Fiber

So let me see if I understand, IPv6 doesn't use NAT which means I do not need to enable any port forwarding like I do for IPv4?

Does that mean I do not need to enable IPv6 on my router at all?  I have the IPV6 address from my server and have updated my nginix config to read IPv6 but it still not "reachable" to the world via IPv6.   If that's true then I have another issue for another forum.  lol

Message 6 of 11
microchip8
Master

If the server is connected to the router and the router gives out DHCP/SLAAC addresses, then yes, you need to enable IPv6 on the router.

As I said, the IPv6 address you get from the router is a public address. There is no translation going on between private and public addresses like there is for IPv4, hence no need for port forwarding.

And as I said, the router has a built-in IPv6 firewall that you cannot control. At least here on my RAX43, if using DHCPv6 to assign IPv6 addresses, the firewall blocks most things. If set to Auto Config (SLAAC), the firewall is open meaning that you can run whatever you want without thinking about the firewall.

Message 7 of 11

Let's go back to your original message.

You say:

i'm trying to setup my server to be able to use ipv4 and ipv6.

Why? What are you really trying to do?

What is this " server"? That's label sits on many devices.

Start by explaining what the end goal is. Then maybe someone can tell you how to get there that may or may not have anything to do with IPv6 Port forwarding.

Message 8 of 11
motion4life
Aspirant

I've just setup a simple website on a raspberry pi with raspberry pi os, nginx, php 8.2, mariadb and wordpress.

As of right now I have the router setup to work with ipv4 and with port forwarding to my server.  I've forward the ports 80/443 on the router to my nginx web server, and works as designed.

I'm trying to improve the access and security of it, and I ran tests with ssl labs/internet.nl and it says that I don't have IPv6 enabled for it.  So I'm trying to chase that down.

I have the configuration in nginx to support IPv6, I have it enabled on in the OS, I've added the IPv6 address to my DNS server and made sure it has IPv6 enabled.  Now I'm trying to figure out what needs to be enabled on my router, so that my site is reachable via IPv6. 

Message 9 of 11

@motion4life wrote:

ISP:  Google Fiber

Did you read what Google says about IPv6 and its support?

Message 10 of 11
microchip8
Master

Which IPv6 address you added to the DNS? If your device is pulling an IPv6 directly from the ISP, you need to bypass the router. That is done by setting the IPv6 type to "Pass Through"

Where did you get this "IPv6 address to DNS" from?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7