× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My RAX40 won't allow connections to some TV services

Ronath
Aspirant

My RAX40 won't allow connections to some TV services

Netgear Device: AX3000 WiFi Router (RAX40) R1.05 V1.0.5.104_1.0.1

Connected device is a Samsung 55" TU8000

So immediately upon getting this router I had an issue with connecting to the Samsung TV App store. The TV is slightly older and my roommate used it at her old apartment with zero issues but at our new place it can't connect to the App Store, or any Samsung servers to update firmware, etc. 

I found a workaround though: if I share my wifi from my phone, the same exact connection its getting wired from the same router, it works. So we download apps, update firmware, then switch back and most services work fine. Until today.

I wanted to watch something on Roku and discovered that it's the same issue as the App Store. I can open the app, but a (barely visible) error appears indicating it can't connect to anything. Switch the TV to my phone's hotspot—no problem. 

I tried logging into Roku, then back to the direct connection to the router and seeing if it allowed streaming, but it doesn't.

Now that it's multiple apps with issues, it seems more clear that it's the router specifically. 

Is there a setting I can change to ensure that Roku and Samsung are allowed through? Would switching it's label in the router settings from TV to something else help (I assume that label is superficial for my benefit and even if it did, why would it block two services needed by a TV?)?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: My RAX40 won't allow connections to some TV services

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Try a different DNS Server. Here's a few for ipv4. Also remember to change the ipv6 dns server if ipv6 is enabled
CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
GoogleDNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Message 2 of 5
Ronath
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply, I missed the first email notifying me of a post.

The router is connected to a EN2251 provided by Spectrum and I use Google's DNS rather than Spectrum's default one.

I don't think the modem is the issue though because, uh, flow chart

Modem ➡️ Router ➡️ TV: can't connect to certain services

Modem ➡️ Router ➡️ Smartphone ➡️ TV: Everything works fine.

It the Modem was the issue I think that would block the services universally.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

1. if you're phone is hotspotted, its using your cellular data and not from the modem. 

2. Are you using any parental controls, access controls, armor on the router? 

Message 4 of 5
Ronath
Aspirant

1.  WiFi tethering is a thing.  If I was using my data connection nothing would be happening. I don't have that good of service in my apartment (I can barely make calls without wifi in my apartment).

2. No parental or access controls or armor. This started happening the moment we moved in and it was a new router with default settings other than a new password. If there's a setting in the router admin I can check I will, but I swear most of them are still set to default and I wouldn't need to set access control.

Edit: So I'm looking at the logs in the router, and it has many instances of

"Thu,Jan 12,2023 20:23:15
[DoS attack:ACK Scan] from source: [[TV IP Address]], port 43124,"

Is it possible that the TV is attempting to connect to Samsung/etc but the router is registering it as DoS attacks?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7