× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AX6 AX5400

di-nana
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk AX6 AX5400

I just purchased this Nighthawk router thinking I was buying a combo modem router to replace my Netgear AC 1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router that is not working up to par.  My internet provider seems to think it is the router part that is bad.

I tried to add the Nighthawk to the existing Cable Modem Router but it doesn't seem to be compatible.  

Do I need to buy a separate Modem?  

Return the new Nighthawk for a different Modem Router?

Or is there a way to make this work?

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AX6 AX5400

A router needs a modem. I recommend you seperate the two. A stand-alone modem and router. If one fails, you can easily replace it.
Message 2 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Short term, you could configure your existing cable modem router for bridge mode operation and that would disable the router portion and leave the cable modem functional.  Then connect your new router downstream.

Message 3 of 4

@di-nana wrote:

I just purchased this Nighthawk router

Which Nigthhawk router?

AX5400, like AC1900, is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX or AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

RAX59? XR1000? Orbi SK50

@Kitsap wrote:

Short term, you could configure your existing cable modem router for bridge mode operation and that would disable the router portion and leave the cable modem functional.  Then connect your new router downstream.

Bridge mode could even be a longer term option if the combination works.

When I used a DSL modem/router in bridge mode the only problem I had was when the power went down. Then the modem took so long to connect that the router had times out before it could make an Internet connection. Then I bought a stand-alone modem.

No harm in trying the combination of these unknown devices. And as @microchip8 separate modems and routers are probably a better option than a combination box, which gives you a better choice of router features. If we are talking about cable Internet, a combination device means that you can't update the modem bit of the firmware.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7