× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RAX120v1 and RAX120v2 Firmware Version 1.2.9.52 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RAX120v1 and RAX120v2 Firmware Version 1.2.9.52 Released

This came in via Auto update today on my v2. This is for v1's as well.

Installed the update using auto update, then power cycled OFF then back ON then factory reset and setup from scratch. Mines in Wireless Bridge mode. 

Security Fixes: 09/20/2023

Bug Fixes: Seen in FW update page

• Fixes the issue where the router would sometimes randomly reboot. 🎂
  • Fixes the issue where the WiFi schedule function was not working correctly.
  • Fixes the issue where Armor activation sometimes failed.
  • Fixes issues with Japan IPv6 DNS (DS-lite).

NOTE: If the RAX seems to stall or hang, try disabling Armor to see if this helps, if it's enabled. 

Download Link: 

RAX120v1/120v2: Same version for both model RAX120 series routers.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120#download

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

NOTE: Nighthawk app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

To Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW.

https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a >factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24233/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RAX120v1 and RAX120v2 Firmware Version 1.2.9.52 Released

So I tested my RAX120v2. 
1. Connected behind a Orbi 970 with a 10Gb LAN Port.

2. Connected behind a SXR30 Pro with NG GS-108 1Gb 8-port switch in between.

1 6ft CAT6 UTP cable connecting the RAX120 to it's source device while in AP mode.

1Gb Windows 10x64 PC

First test is with RAX in AP mode connected with it's MG port to the Orbi 970 10Gb LAN port and 1 wired PC connected to the RAX120v2 LAN port in back. RAX was first set up in router mode and it's Internet port section there set to the 5GB Internet port and applied. Then AP mode was configured for static IP and the configuration applied:

1_RAX120_APMode_MGConnected.png

Wired PC connected to LAN 4 port.

Second test is with the RAX in AP mode with it's INTERNET port connected to the NG GS-108 swithch connected behind Orbi SXR30 router and 1 wired PC connected to the RAX120v2 LAN port in back. RAX was first set up in router mode and it's Internet port section there set to the Main Internet port and applied. Then AP mode was configured for static IP and the configuration applied:

2_RAX120_APMode_WANConnected.png

Third test is with the RAX in AP mode with it's INTERNET port connected to the NG GS-108 switch connected behind Orbi SXR30 router and 1 wired PC connected to the RAX120v2 MG Port:

3_RAX120_APMode_WANConnected_PCConnected2MGPort.png

Wired PC connected to the MG port.

Throughout all testing configurations above, I never saw any speed results below 900Mbps for the DOWN and 50Mpbs for the UP while the RAX120 was in AP mode.

4_RAX120SpeedTestResults_WiredPC.png

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 27

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Found one bug while in bridge mode.

Link rate and connection status are not correctly being displayed when connected to SSID signal:

RAX120v2BridgeMode_WirelessSettingsDisplayIncomplete.png

Otherwise working so far in bridge mode.

Anyone curious on where IPv6 features are on the RAX120, it's located here on the WEB UI:

IPv6WEBUI_location.png

Message 2 of 27
Tou
Aspirant
Aspirant

I use Hardware Version RAX120v2 in AP Mode on Firmware Version 1.2.9.52. I've got two pieces of this router. I want to use all of the 6 Ethernet Ports as the simple LAN switch. Why on Multi-GIG Port  the upload is truncatet to 1MBps transfer? The download in the same time gives full speed of 600MBps from ISP on tests. Ther is no QoS active in AP mode. If I hot-swap my Cat.6 shielded cable from "Muliti-Gig" Port to the "Internet" port , there is no speed limit instantly for upload (200MBps to ISP)and download (600MBps from ISP)..I confirmed this behaviour on two pieces of RAX120v2 hardware - it is not incident, The same problem.with Multi-Gig port upload. My cable is ok and my ISP has no such limits like 1MBps. The other end of this Cat.6 STP cable sits in stable old 3com 8 port Gigabit switch. It shouldn't be a rocket speed challenge.

Can't You init the port driver correctly or You lost something unchecked in your code in AP mode. I have made factory reset on 1.2.9.52 firmware and I made setup from a scratch.

Message 3 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you first set the MG port for Internet connection while in router mode, then change from router mode to AP mode? 

What is the brand and model host router that the RAX is connecting to? 

What is the connection rate seen on the host router when the MG port is connected? Be sure the RAX is connecting to a MG port on the host router as well. 

What CAT# LAN cable are you using between the RAX and host router? CAT6A STP is recommended. 

@Tou wrote:

I use Hardware Version RAX120v2 in AP Mode on Firmware Version 1.2.9.52. I've got two pieces of this router. I want to use all of the 6 Ethernet Ports as the simple LAN switch. Why on Multi-GIG Port  the upload is truncatet to 1MBps transfer? The download in the same time gives full speed of 600MBps from ISP on tests. Ther is no QoS active in AP mode. If I hot-swap my Cat.6 shielded cable from "Muliti-Gig" Port to the "Internet" port , there is no speed limit instantly for upload (200MBps to ISP)and download (600MBps from ISP)..I confirmed this behaviour on two pieces of RAX120v2 hardware - it is not incident, The same problem.with Multi-Gig port upload. My cable is ok and my ISP has no such limits like 1MBps. The other end of this Cat.6 STP cable sits in stable old 3com 8 port Gigabit switch. It shouldn't be a rocket speed challenge.

Can't You init the port driver correctly or You lost something unchecked in your code in AP mode. I have made factory reset on 1.2.9.52 firmware and I made setup from a scratch.

Message 4 of 27
Tou
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have CAT 6 STP for 1GBps speed connected from RAX120v2 to 3com 8 port Gigabit what I have written in my initial post. The 3Com switch always indicates 1Gbps connection on their ports from RAX120v2 whether on Multi-Gig or on "Internet" port. 3Com switch connects to switch of my ISP router.The cable is perfect, becouse it works in "Internet" port of RAX120v2 on full untruncated upload speed 1GBps. If I only swap cable to Multi-Gig - it gets 1MBps limit (very slow) on upload, but download is at full speed 600MBps. Only uplink is truncated. You can hot swap it from Multi-GIG to "Internet" of RAX120v2, and uplink has no limit.

The initial config for Multi-GIG before setting RAX120v2 to AP Mode was Internet Port (1 Gbps). I can repeat this problem endlessly on both RAX120v2 routers I have.

If I try to set it in other Multi-GIG option: 5G Ethernet port.the port is dumb.

WAN aggregation (1 Gbps + 1 Gbps) is not an option for me. I need 6 individual LAN ports at 1Gbps capability.

Message 5 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

The initial config for Multi-GIG before setting RAX120v2 to AP Mode as to be set to MG, not the 1Gb port. 

Also try connecting the RAX directly to the host router, by passing the switch your using to test. 

Message 6 of 27
Tou
Aspirant
Aspirant

I set up Multi-Gig as 5GBps , but it didn't resolve problem. The use of switch built-in the router worked as workaround becouse fortunately I have spare length of cable to reach the router built-in switch and free port left. The uplink is at full speed in it. The distance is about 30 meters between RAX120 and switch and router. The question is:

What is broken in sending/sensing over Multi-Gig port during upload to 3com gigabit switch, that packets are dramatically slowed down to 1MBps only during uplink speedtest, downlink is ok, but it is not a problem when You put the same cable to Internet or LAN1-4 port of RAX120?. There is not any upload bottleneck then. The physics of cable is not, becouse it is physically the same shielded cable.in both cases, but Multi-Gig port must have some "rotten egg" in hardware/firmware or broken in protocol design internally. It was not a problem on pure 10/100/1000MBps hardware ports..

Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Let me check out mine and see if I can reproduce. Mines in wireless bridge mode currently. 

Message 8 of 27
Tou
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would compare the electrical power parameters of output line drivers for LAN ports and this Multi-Gig after 30-40 meters of the copper cable during throughput load on the oscilloscope...

Message 9 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

So I tested my RAX120v2. 
1. Connected behind a Orbi 970 with a 10Gb LAN Port.

2. Connected behind a SXR30 Pro with NG GS-108 1Gb 8-port switch in between.

1 6ft CAT6 UTP cable connecting the RAX120 to it's source device while in AP mode.

1Gb Windows 10x64 PC

First test is with RAX in AP mode connected with it's MG port to the Orbi 970 10Gb LAN port and 1 wired PC connected to the RAX120v2 LAN port in back. RAX was first set up in router mode and it's Internet port section there set to the 5GB Internet port and applied. Then AP mode was configured for static IP and the configuration applied:

1_RAX120_APMode_MGConnected.png

Second test is with the RAX in AP mode with it's INTERNET port connected to the NG GS-108 swithch connected behind Orbi SXR30 router and 1 wired PC connected to the RAX120v2 LAN port in back. RAX was first set up in router mode and it's Internet port section there set to the Main Internet port and applied. Then AP mode was configured for static IP and the configuration applied:

2_RAX120_APMode_WANConnected.png

Third test is with the RAX in AP mode with it's INTERNET port connected to the NG GS-108 switch connected behind Orbi SXR30 router and 1 wired PC connected to the RAX120v2 MG Port:

3_RAX120_APMode_WANConnected_PCConnected2MGPort.png

Wired PC connected to the MG port.

Throughout all testing configurations above, I never saw any speed results below 900Mbps for the DOWN and 50Mpbs for the UP while the RAX120 was in AP mode.

4_RAX120SpeedTestResults_WiredPC.png

Message 10 of 27
Tou
Aspirant
Aspirant

It doesn't mean anything without electrical input sensivity measurement of your Gigabit Switch input ports and RAX120's raw electrical output level of Multi-Gig port.The short distance between RAX120 and Gigabit switch is below 30 meters of cable I suppose, what can additionally mask the problem. Test Uplink on long wire. Be like engineer in electronics with raw physical data arguments and power of signal, not just rundom test data on your particular config without testbed physical parameters. You proved that your config doesn't discover this bug, but my config still does. That's all. Your good suggestion to try out other switch port in the outgoing router as workarounded was correct, but not resolved the real cause of the problem. The same gigabit switch works flawlessly with all other than Multi-Gig RAX120 ports. Try to find the real cause, not mask it. I would like to the see signal power and SNR parameters more after 30-40 meters of cable's distance from Multi-Gig and LAN ports.

It works for you, doesn't respond to my question, why is it not working for me.

If You eat burger and fell good after it, is less interesting case than the other one, who eated it and had stomachache or even died after it 😉

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you'll need to look into and see since your the only one that seems to be exhibiting this issue. Need to rule out all your equipement and cables. All cabling types and kinds have been suggested. FW is working as well as the RAX120 hardware in it self testing in normal home invironment and configuration. If you feel the need to dive into it more, thats up to you. Make contact with NG support and let them know what your experiencing.

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 27
Tou
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank You for our fruitful discussion. My 3com switch 3C1670800B must have too weak input drivers required for RAX120 Multi-Gig output port (uplink), but for RAX120's LAN and Internet ports are enough. I've replaced switch to 3com 3C16792C and problem is not visible. Hardware parameters of output are the cause of problem for 3C1670800B. This is not a router problem.

Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try some other branded switches as well. NG would be recommended. Apparently what your using isn't working. 

Those model switches you have, the one model you posted reports to be only a 100Mbps switch which would NOT be recommended at all. Would be a bottleneck on a 1000Mpbs ethernet connection which the RAX supports. 

The other model seems to be a 1000Mpbs supporting switch. However these 3com branded switches maybe of older generation and have no idea how they are designed and may not be really compatible with NG routers let alone the MG port speeds. I recommend keeping same brand of router with same brand of switch. 

Though the MG port supports speed down to 1000Mpbs, I'd try and install a MG supporting switch on this port to ensure it's working fully at 5Gb regardless if you have that need of a speed or not. NG GS110MX should be reviewed. 

If your only using 1Gb Switches, then configure the RAX for the 1Gb Internet port while in AP Mode. Theres no need or sense in using the MG port for it's main connection to the host router if the speed is only 1Gb. 

Also use of CAT6A STP cabling should be used, short or in long lengths if that's what's needed. 

Message 14 of 27
Tou
Aspirant
Aspirant

Message 15 of 27
Tou
Aspirant
Aspirant

Message 16 of 27
KenNdaBoro
Aspirant

I have a RAX120V1 that would slow down then drop both frequencies randomly.  This was before the firmware update 1.2.9.52.  The cooling fan would run for short bursts of time while under heavy loads.  I even enabled the fan to run continuously but that did not stop the dropouts.  I noticed the area under the router was very warm and decided that the wood shelf the router was sitting on was impeding the cooling of the router. I found some small round felt pads that I could put under the routers feet to elevate the router.  I kept stacking the pads until the router stopped resetting (approx. 1").  I now have a router that does not spontaneously dropout and can carry heavy internet traffic at the speed of my ISP plan. BTW I also switched all cabling to CAT6A as well. I am happy with the results!

RAX120V1 router

CM2000 modem

Message 17 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear that getting more air flow under the router helped. 

Something I keep under the bottom of mine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IGSATZY

IMG_0909.JPG

Thanks for sharing. 

Enjoy.

@KenNdaBoro wrote:

I have a RAX120V1 that would slow down then drop both frequencies randomly.  This was before the firmware update 1.2.9.52.  The cooling fan would run for short bursts of time while under heavy loads.  I even enabled the fan to run continuously but that did not stop the dropouts.  I noticed the area under the router was very warm and decided that the wood shelf the router was sitting on was impeding the cooling of the router. I found some small round felt pads that I could put under the routers feet to elevate the router.  I kept stacking the pads until the router stopped resetting (approx. 1").  I now have a router that does not spontaneously dropout and can carry heavy internet traffic at the speed of my ISP plan. BTW I also switched all cabling to CAT6A as well. I am happy with the results!

RAX120V1 router

CM2000 modem

Message 18 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

11 Days uptime on my RAX120v2:

IMG_2765.jpg

Message 19 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Retesting my RAX120v2, Seeing good 12 days uptime and low CPU usage. No Armor active.

RAX120v2_12PlusDaysUptime_ArmorNotActive_LowCPUUsage_v.52ReleaseFW.png

I did see a spike in CPU usage one morning then came home that same day and CPU usage went back to being low. Not sure what that was about. Router as been working great on this version of FW. 

Message 20 of 27
sqpstar
Aspirant

Hi, I am new to owning a netgear router. Recently grabbed the Rax120v2 on sale.
In the few days of owning this, I was setting this up and did multiple restarts everyday, but I had it running continuously now for 2 days. Last night my wifi was dead and when it came back up, I was getting a password error on both the 2.4 and 5ghz networks. App didn't let me login to the router ui. I had to do a turn it off and on to get it working again.

Is this the dreaded issue that everyone talks about on the forum? Wasn't the firmware from September meant to fix this? I am running the latest firmware.

Any specific precautions I need to take to have this router to not restart randomly?
Message 21 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?

Any of the following enabled on the router? Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

@sqpstar wrote:
Hi, I am new to owning a netgear router. Recently grabbed the Rax120v2 on sale.
In the few days of owning this, I was setting this up and did multiple restarts everyday, but I had it running continuously now for 2 days. Last night my wifi was dead and when it came back up, I was getting a password error on both the 2.4 and 5ghz networks. App didn't let me login to the router ui. I had to do a turn it off and on to get it working again.

Is this the dreaded issue that everyone talks about on the forum? Wasn't the firmware from September meant to fix this? I am running the latest firmware.

Any specific precautions I need to take to have this router to not restart randomly?

Message 22 of 27
sqpstar
Aspirant

My firmware is 1.2.9.52.
Modem is adtran XGSPON ONT SGX631Q
I am currently with community fibre 1Gbps connection speed. Using a cat6 cable from the modem to router.
When the router died last night, it was using channel 6 for 2.4Ghz and channel 52(DFS) for 5Ghz. I changed the 5Ghz to channel 44 today.
I have disabled all the additional services. Not using any that you have mentioned.
I do have a 1TB nvme SSD connected to the usb. Only a few MB filled and only use it for backups.
Message 23 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Seem that this ONT supports 2.5Gb ethernet connection rates. 

Is the ONT connected to the Yellow internet port on the back of the RAX router or do you have the Multi Gig port enabled and connected here with the ONT? 

How was the router setup initially, web browser or Nighthawk Mobile app? 

Can you take a screen capture of the routers IP address/debug.htm web page and post it here as like I did with mine that shows CPU, Memory and System Uptime please. 

Message 24 of 27
sqpstar
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the quick reply. Initial setup was done from the mobile app, but rest of the changes were done from the Web login.
I did switch to the multi gig ethernet couple days ago, before that I was using the Internet port.
Please find attached the requested screenshot.

Surprised to see the cpu load at 72%. Currently it's just 1 person at home connected to work. But I do have over 50 devices online including smart lights sensors etc. Most on 2.4ghz. Under 10 devices in total that use 5GHz but only a couple online now.

PS: Just checked again and cpu usage dropped to 3%.
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7