× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX45 randomly disconnects devices on wifi

Xedous
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX45 randomly disconnects devices on wifi

Ever since I purchased the Nighthawk RAX45 I've had issues.  Every so often the router will decide that one of my devices does not need internet that day.  I check my Nighthawk app, no errors or messages of any kind, lights on the front look fine, power cycle sometimes works.  If the power cyle doesn't work then there is no way to get that deivce back on the network.  I know it's not the device becaue I can turn on the hotspot on my phone and the device works perfectly.  Give it a day or so and all of a sudden the internet on that device is back.  So far this is wireless only, wired devices seem to stay connected although I did have a no internet message on my comp when I sat down yesterday but when I opened a browser everything worked just fine.  This has happened with iphone, ipad, 2 different laptops and my NordicTrack treadmill using wireless.  I've done all updates that show on app.  Firmware - V1.0.2.66_2.0.42 

I upgraded from an old Apple basestation which, connection wise, worked great.  Anyone have any ideas or do I just trash this junk?

Message 1 of 5

Re: Nighthawk RAX45 randomly disconnects devices on wifi

@Xedous wrote:

I know it's not the device becaue I can turn on the hotspot on my phone and the device works perfectly. 

That proves nothing. We don't know what that device is, but some devices have  a habit of going into sleep mode. Windows is good at doing that. You have to dive into the settings to disable "sleep mode". Then again, I doubt if a treadmill has that issue.

I'm not saying that this is happening to you, just suggesting that you investigate other possibilities.

Have you tried troubleshooting? You might get some help here.

@Xedous wrote:

I've done all updates that show on app.  Firmware - V1.0.2.66_2.0.42 

That isn't always reliable. Some updates won't show in whichever app you are using. A better guide is the support section for your hardware. This can show updates that have yet to reach the update server.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Message 2 of 5
Shiftbmxer
Aspirant

Had an update to firmware this week Thursday. Did the update and it has very high ping. Did powercycles after update, router and modem. Still ping from my modem to router with 80ms ping swings. Called support today and I’m out of “tech support “ so they want me to pay monthly to talk with them about it. They created the firmware not me nor is the hardware bad or anything from the ISP (didn’t charge extra for me to get the support needed.) I reverted to a previous firmware now it spikes up to 10ms ping. I’ll take that over the 80+ms ping swing. I’m pissed at this company for the tech support and software problems they create. I can’t even let tech know there’s an issue with the newest firmware. How is this legal???
Message 3 of 5

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Message 4 of 5
Shiftbmxer
Aspirant

No I didn’t do a reset pre or post install for the current firmware. Thanks for the help.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7