× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pre Installation of R6700AX WIFi6 router to an older NETGEAR C6300 cable modem

DonFoley
Follower

Pre Installation of R6700AX WIFi6 router to an older NETGEAR C6300 cable modem

I wish to make the marriage of these two components as easy as possible.  It seems to me that I should turn off the existing wifi router installed in the cable modem before plugging in the new wifi6 router to the old cable modem.  I also want to power off the two wi fi extenders before starting the hardware install. It would also seem appropriate that I should disable DHCP in the new wifi6 router so that the main router assigns and controls the IP addresses.

These actions seem like the right thing to do in advance.  

Comments?

The older cable modem has an upper bandwith of 680mbs, more than enough for two elderly computer lovers, so there's little reason to upgrade it.  I really need the extra coverage of wifi6. Security cameras are a great way of determining the range of your wifi ... Just 5 feet further left and nothing!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Pre Installation of R6700AX WIFi6 router to an older NETGEAR C6300 cable modem

Hello DonFoley,

If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7