× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX54 Security Access Control settings reset after power loss

dgutierr27
Aspirant

RAX54 Security Access Control settings reset after power loss

I have a Nighthawk RAX54 running Firmware Version V1.0.12.120_2.0.83.

I have the router configured with Security - Access Control disabled.  But, whenever I have a power outage at home, and once the power is restored, the router keeps its settings intact, except for Access Control.  After the router comes back online, Access Control is enabled with the rule to block all devices.  This is a pain, as I manually have to login to the UI and reset this setting each time I lose power.  I do have an APC backup connected to the router, but it doesn't seem to work as expected.  I have also tried restoring from a backup, but this same behavior persists.  Anyone else have this issue?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX54 Security Access Control settings reset after power loss

Any progress on this? 

Message 2 of 9
dgutierr27
Aspirant

Nope.  Still keeps happening.  A reboot even reverts the SSID password to one from an older configuration!  Wondering if it's similar to this old post.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/Nighthawk-X4S-R7800-Loses-Config-after...

Looks like I won't be buying Netgear again.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried updating FW to see if this resolves this?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/New-RAX35-38-40-42-43-45-54-Firmware-V...

I recommend that if you manually load this version of FW, perform a factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser: https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

Message 4 of 9
dgutierr27
Aspirant

Yes, this behavior happened on previous FW and latest/greatest.  Have done factory resets, restored from backup, no change.  I just ordered another router (same model), and will see if this is a hardware issue on mine.  Even though it worked fine for over a year so this feels like FW defect.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so lets try a factory reset and this time, do not apply a backup configuration from file. Possible you maybe re-introducing or the problem is following on from a older backup file created on a older version of FW and populating that with a new version of FW. 

Something else to try as well, 30-30-30 reset and again setup from scratch, do not load a saved configuration from file. 

Message 6 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A reboot even reverts the SSID password to one from an older configuration!

stale config data being restored.

what a curious thing.

could it be getting retrieved from your registered online Netgear.com account?

or maybe, could it be getting reprogrammed from the NightHawk app on your smartphone?

what test could we devise to tell?

Message 7 of 9
dgutierr27
Aspirant

Decided not to bother any more with troubleshooting.  Either a hardware defect where new changes aren't being written successfully to RAM or a corrupt config somewhere.

I returned the old router and purchased their latest version, which is the RAX54 v2 model.  So far so good.  At least reboots are successful and don't wipe out my config.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got something else. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series