× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX70 - WIFI stopped working unable to Factory Reset

sihebenstreit
Aspirant

RAX70 - WIFI stopped working unable to Factory Reset

Hi 

I have a RAX70 Router NighthawkAX88-StreamAX6600Tri-BandWiFi6Router which I was setting up. I think that during the firmware upgrade - there may have been a problem as now I have no WiFi and I am unable to do a factory reset. Since there is no WiFi the Netgear Nighthawk App cannot help me.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 10
microchip8
Master

Re: RAX70 - WIFI stopped working unable to Factory Reset

There's a reset button at the back. Press it in for 10 seconds then release. You don't need WiFi to manage the router, or the Nighthawk app for that matter. If wired to a PC, you can use the Web UI at http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1

Message 2 of 10
sihebenstreit
Aspirant

I already tried that - just using http://192.168.1.1/ . So I disconnected all internet and only had the router connected via the port  (otherwise it tried to connect to my modem TP Link), but it says this site cannot be reached.

Any other suggestions?

Message 3 of 10
sihebenstreit
Aspirant

Thanks - I have followed these instructions - here is the text of the Network Connection Details - so no details for IPv4 Default Gateway..................

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Realtek USB GbE Family Controller
Physical Address: ‎00-E0-4C-68-2F-CE
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.101.236
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
IPv4 Default Gateway:
IPv4 DNS Server:
IPv4 WINS Server:
NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::443d:f74c:65fb:3f09%22
IPv6 Default Gateway:
IPv6 DNS Servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1, fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Message 4 of 10

@sihebenstreit wrote:

I already tried that - just using http://192.168.1.1/ . So I disconnected all internet and only had the router connected via the port  ...

Not sure what that means.

"only had the router connected via the port"?

Do you mean that the router was plugged into a PC?

What does the power LED look like on the RAX70? If it isn't "solid white". As the manual says:

If the Power LED blinks slowly and continuously, the router firmware is corrupted.

Message 5 of 10
sihebenstreit
Aspirant

Router is connected to my laptop via ethernet - using LAN 1.

The power button is actually red (just noticed that it is meant to be white) - but not flashing.

Lan 1 2 3 4 lights sometimes flash on all together - but mainly the Lan 1 light is on.

Hope that makes more sense now.

Message 6 of 10

@sihebenstreit wrote:

Router is connected to my laptop via ethernet - using LAN 1.

The power button is actually red (just noticed that it is meant to be white) - but not flashing.

I've seen other reports of that.

On some models, a red (or amber) power LED was an indicator of bust firmware.

Another possibility is that there is something wrong with the power supply to your router. If you have an alternative with the same output – from an old router for example –  you could see if that works.

If the firmware is broken, there is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Some say that this does not work on newer device while others happily ignore that warning.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

Message 7 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

tftp

I learned something new today.  thank you.

I would have given up before trying this hopeful step.

I'm not so sure it'd work for me personally.

I always change the router's default IP Address to something besides 192.168.1.1

it depends I suppose on how successful the reset is at restoring things to default.

let's watch and see if this fixes it.

it looks very hopeful.

Message 8 of 10
sihebenstreit
Aspirant

Thanks Michael, you have been very helpful - I have a support ticket in for this problem and just waiting to see what they say as well.

I agree and think it is a firmware corruption. I would rather return the router as I only just bought it - but will try this as a last resort.

Message 9 of 10

@sihebenstreit wrote:

I agree and think it is a firmware corruption. I would rather return the router as I only just bought it - but will try this as a last resort.

The best way to deal with a new purchase that goes wrong can be to get it back to whoever sold you the thing.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7