× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax70 router not showing 4804mbs option

DrPopper
Tutor

Rax70 router not showing 4804mbs option

My new RAX70 will not show the option for 4804mbs on the 5G-2 band no matter what settings I try it only shows a max of 2401mbs ... new firmware, factory reset, different channels, smart connect on or off ...it doesn't matter it only shows the 80mhz 2401mbs option .... have been back and forth for days with Netgear support without any luck .... 

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
DrPopper
Tutor

Re: Rax70 router not showing 4804mbs option

I don’t think I can set that to use the lower channels…. I think it’s time to return it.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@DrPopper wrote:

My new RAX70 will not show the option for 4804mbs on the 5G-2 band no matter what settings I try it only shows a max of 2401mbs ... new firmware, factory reset, different channels, smart connect on or off ...it doesn't matter it only shows the 80mhz 2401mbs option .... have been back and forth for days with Netgear support without any luck .... 

Not sure about your choice of available numbers.  The 5G-2 band may not have the same capacity of the 5G-1 band.  You do need to be aware the mode is a theoretical maximum link capacity for the router.  Not a real world data transfer capacity between two devices.

Some reading on your part is in order.  Start here:  https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html.

Duckware knows what they are talking about and the paper was recently updated.  Start with sections 3 and 4.

Message 2 of 18
DrPopper
Tutor

You don't understand the issue ...the Router supports 160 Mhz 4804mbs mode on the 5G-2 band. When logged into the routers UI I cannot select any higher then the 80mhz wide 2401mbs mode on the 5g-2 band .... it's not that the 160/4804 mode is greyed out ...it simply isn't there. It has nothing to do with real world transfer rates ...it's got to do with this Router refusing to go into a mode that it is supposed to supports.

Message 3 of 18
Kitsap
Master

@DrPopper wrote:

You don't understand the issue ...the Router supports 160 Mhz 4804mbs mode on the 5G-2 band. When logged into the routers UI I cannot select any higher then the 80mhz wide 2401mbs mode on the 5g-2 band .... it's not that the 160/4804 mode is greyed out ...it simply isn't there. It has nothing to do with real world transfer rates ...it's got to do with this Router refusing to go into a mode that it is supposed to supports.

And you are absolutely certain of this fact based on just what exactly?

Are you logged in to the UI with a mobile device or with a real computer and web browser connected to the router via an Ethernet cable?

Message 4 of 18
DrPopper
Tutor

Yes I am absolutely certain of these facts based on the specs for the Netgear RAX70 ....I am logged in via Ethernet and a PC ....I have reuploaded manualy the firmware, reset to factory settings, and restarted many times .... same result.

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

What region is the router set to? 

What channel do you have the other 5ghz band on? Have you checked to ensure you don't have the 2 mixed up (stupid question, I know)? 

To use the full 160hz channel width, it has to use the dfs channels. So make sure the other 5ghz band isn't using them. 

If you factory reset, what does it show under the defaults for the 5ghz bands? (before you change anything with them)

Message 6 of 18
Kitsap
Master

@DrPopper wrote:

Yes I am absolutely certain of these facts based on the specs for the Netgear RAX70 ....I am logged in via Ethernet and a PC ....I have reuploaded manualy the firmware, reset to factory settings, and restarted many times .... same result.

Ah yes, your interpretation of the specifications.  There are clearly educational deficiencies between your interpretation and fact.

@plemans questions reside in the open space between your interpretation and details of your configuration.

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I like to review the spec sheet for details of what is what:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/RAX70.pdf

Message 8 of 18
DrPopper
Tutor

Really? Read the spec sheet Eisenstein
Message 9 of 18
DrPopper
Tutor

Exactly… it should support 4.8gbs 160 mhz on 5G-2 but alas …
Message 10 of 18
DrPopper
Tutor

Yes it’s on a dfs channel and the other 5 ghz channel is no where near it …
Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

What region is the router set in? 

Do you have a screensnip of the wireless settings page? (showing the drop down for both 5ghz? might have to do more than 1)

Message 12 of 18
DrPopper
Tutor

It’s got only 3 options in the drop down mode menu … 600,1200 and 2400 mbs which corresponds to 40,80 and 160 mhz channel widths.
It’s on channel 100 ( DFS ) and set to the local zone.

I can see absolutely no reason why this won’t work but alas ….
Message 13 of 18
plemans
Guru

I'm wanting to see what you actually see for both 5ghz bands. Not typed out, a screensnip of them. For both 5g-1, 5g-2

(and it corresponds to 20/40/80hz width)

And what region you're in. Local zone tells us nothing. 

Message 14 of 18
DrPopper
Tutor

As you can see .... everything SHOULD be working ....for 160mhz wide on 5G-2 but alas .... 🙄

Nothing makes a difference .... all DFS and normal channels react the same, Smart connect makes no difference, Resets, Firmware ....nothing helps .... its a valid band for the region .... I simply cannot fathom this.... 

IMG_6732.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

Message 15 of 18
plemans
Guru

You might be screwed because of your region. 

Australia only has the 1 section of channel width 160 hz wide. 
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels)

And its the lower band channels. The higher 5ghz bands all have a break in there due to their local broadcast restrictions. 

I'm not 100% because I don't have that router. But can you set the 5ghz band 1 to use the higher 5ghz channels? 

If so, then potentially, you could use 5ghz band 2 for the lower band and the 160hz. 

Again, I don't have that router so I can't test it. 

IF the 5ghz band 1 is locked to the lower 5ghz channels, then you won't have a "up to 4800mbps" option on the higher bands because of your region. 

Message 16 of 18
DrPopper
Tutor

I don’t think I can set that to use the lower channels…. I think it’s time to return it.

Message 17 of 18
plemans
Guru

Just be aware that any router you pick up is going to have that channel restrictions. You might be better off going with a dual band so you can choose the channels for the 160hz wide spectrum. A decent AX6000 dual band would manage that. 

But you might also look at actual usage speeds. You still have a triband with a 2x2 radio and a 4x4 antenna for the 5ghz. Most devices are only 1x1 or 2x2 antenna devices. Also most devices don't use 160hz wide channels so even if you get a router that has the 4800mbps option in the correct channel zone, your device might not connect at the 2400mbps. 

So even through the one band is limited to 80hz wide channels, you might notice much speed difference. And you might even find it has benefits as then you have a little more load balancing with the dual 5ghz bands. 

But again, your choice. Just not sure if you'll see much real world speed differences. 

But it does explain why you can't hit the 4800mbps with that device. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7