× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Speed Nighthawk

mnasiff
Aspirant

Slow Speed Nighthawk

I have an optical connection of 900 mb but by wifi I only get 340 mb connected to the 5G signal with only 1 device connected
my router is the Nighthawk RAXE290 tri-band
Anyone know what might be happening?
Thank you

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Slow Speed Nighthawk

What device are you testing on? 

What firmware is on the router? 

HOw are you testing? What site/app/ etc? 

Message 2 of 12
mnasiff
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer.

I have tried (one at a time) with an iphone 13, a macbook pro, a macbook air all new from the latest generation.
The firmware is: V1.0.7.62_1
I have tested with fast.com and speedtest.net

The router indicates that it receives 600 MB upload and 900 download from the modem, this is correct, it is what I have contracted, if I connect by cable, I do receive 900/600, but as I said in my post none of my devices connected by wifi reaches more than 340 mb. I also tried with an eero router and exactly the same thing happens.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

so if both the router from netgear and Eero are hitting the same speed, it makes me thing its the devices that are the bottleneck. 

Message 4 of 12

@mnasiff wrote:

... as I said in my post none of my devices connected by wifi reaches more than 340 mb. I also tried with an eero router and exactly the same thing happens.

Maybe that's as fast as these devices can do, despite marketing hype.

Can you get much higher speeds if you try them on different wifi sources?

If so that would bring it back to the router. But you have tried two routers which sort of suggests that's not the problem.

Message 5 of 12
mnasiff
Aspirant

It was the first thing we thought about with the technician who helps me, I took the same devices to my brother's house who has the same internet plan that I have and with an eero router the equipment reached between 600 and 700 mb.
The technician said that he had no explanation. He had never seen a problem like this.

Message 6 of 12
mnasiff
Aspirant

Yes i can get  higher speeds with the same devices.

I took the same devices to my brother's house who has the same internet plan that I have and with an eero router the equipment reached between 600 and 700 mb.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

If the eero and netgear are getting the same speed but the same eero device somewhere else gets faster speeds, then maybe look at the modem/gateway its connected to

Message 8 of 12
mnasiff
Aspirant

My brother and I have the same modem, it is the one provided by the internet company we have contracted (DZS model ZNID-GPON-2426A1-1GT). In any case, as I said before, the modem actually reaches 900 mb, this has been verified.
The problem remains a mystery to all who have come to check.
I live on a 14th floor, I am thinking about the contamination of the frequencies.

Message 9 of 12

@mnasiff wrote:

My brother and I have the same modem, it is the one provided by the internet company we have contracted (DZS model ZNID-GPON-2426A1-1GT).

That appears to be one of those modem/router combination jobs with a row of Ethernet ports on the back.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 10 of 12
mnasiff
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer!

What should I do?

Message 11 of 12

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies