× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

static ip for printer

Steven1256
Aspirant

static ip for printer

I have the nighthawk wifi 6 (ax) router and am looking for assistance in setting up a static IP for a printer. Am not sure where to put it in the router. Am thinking in Advanced Setup, static Routes. Can anyone help me. TIA

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: static ip for printer

Just so you know, Static IPs are set ON devices, not the router. IP address reservations are set ON the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Which router model? "wifi 6 (ax)" is not a model number! Look at the router's label
Which firmware version? A version, not "the latest"

A static IP is set on the devices itself, not on the router. What you're looking for is reserved DHCP address. You can do so in Advanced -> LAN Setup
Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

@Steven1256 wrote:

I have the nighthawk wifi 6 (ax) router and am looking for assistance in setting up a static IP for a printer. Am not sure where to put it in the router. Am thinking in Advanced Setup, static Routes. Can anyone help me. TIA

Message 3 of 13
Steven1256
Aspirant

Sorry, it's an AX6 AX5400 6-stream router: Firmware Version V1.0.12.120_2.0.83

router-2.jpg

Message 4 of 13
schumaku
Guru

RAX50 is the key for the model. 

RAX50 — Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX5400 WiFi 6 Router In the Documentation Section https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rax50#docs you find the Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX5400 WiFi Router Models RAX50 and RAX50v2 User Manual, on p.50 there is a chapter on "Manage reserved LAN IP addresses".

RAX59 Reserve an IP Address.PNG

Message 5 of 13
Steven1256
Aspirant

I did what you suggested however, the info was already there and I didn't do anything except open the menu. Here's a screen grab:

lan.jpg

Message 6 of 13

@Steven1256 wrote:

I did what you suggested however, the info was already there and I didn't do anything except open the menu.

Maybe it is working. Do you have a problem with the printer?

Message 7 of 13
Steven1256
Aspirant

The IP address kept changing every few days!

Message 8 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@Steven1256 wrote:

The IP address kept changing!

The printer is either not configured for DHCP, or the MAC address is wrong. Check your printer resp. it's documentation. 

Last possibility: The Netgear router DHCP is broken or buggy.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Something I do with my printers, Set a static IP address on the printers, something that's out of range of my routers default DHCP IP address pool. Let the printer handle the IP address then it never changes and you know where it's at. Most printer don't need any router management anyways. 

@Steven1256 wrote:

Message 10 of 13

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Something I do with my printers, Set a static IP address on the printers...

That's also a strategy I use, although my network is simple enough not to need messing around with any IP range.

I can't see any sign of which printer @Steven1256 has, but with Canon it is a simple case of using the network connection utility.

Message 11 of 13
Steven1256
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Something I do with my printers, Set a static IP address on the printers, something that's out of range of my routers default DHCP IP address pool. Let the printer handle the IP address then it never changes and you know where it's at. Most printer don't need any router management anyways. 

@Steven1256 wrote:

Thanks Furry, I did just that. So far it's staying put. Thank you for the assist. Set it up as a static ip in the router so the dhcp doesn't re assign it.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Just so you know, Static IPs are set ON devices, not the router. IP address reservations are set ON the router. 

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7