Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use ORBI LBR20 LTE in failover to Netgear LAX20 LTE router

ChezStevens
Tutor

Use ORBI LBR20 LTE in failover to Netgear LAX20 LTE router

Hi folks,

Hope you can help. Due to lousy internet connection using French telecom provider (10mbps down, 1mbps up) we now use Free Sim data plans in both Orbi LBR20 & Netgear LAX20 LTE routers (210Gb allowance for both, giving 420Gb total).

My question, before playing (interpretation: screwing up) with system: Can I use my Netgear LAX20 LTE router as primary, with Orbi LBR20 connected in Failover mode? My Orbi setup, LBR20 plus 3 RBS50, works well but I would like to unify the total 420Gb data plan into our house wide system. Thank you, Vern

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Use ORBI LBR20 LTE in failover to Netgear LAX20 LTE router

As far as I can tell, failover will switch when the connection stops working. So if your isp stops your connection at 210gb, it should work. If they step it down to "low data rate" but the connection still works, then I'm not sure if it'll switch over. 

Again, neither device is load balancing so there isn't a way to set it in the settings to split the 2. 

And I dont have either device to see if there's a way to set them to disable after a certain amount of data is used. 

A bit funny how the lax20 gets the much lower speeds. Have you tried swapping sim cards? maybe one was provisioned different. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can do it as both devices have failover mode. 

but failover isn't load balancing. If your telecom shuts off your data when you hit 210gb, then it should failover to the other device if programed that way. 

Message 2 of 5
ChezStevens
Tutor

Hi Plemans,

That is all I want to happen, Netgear LAX20 uses its 210Gb servicing my home network (thru the Orbi LBR20 & sats); then LBR20 uses its 210 Gb. More than ample for our needs. Interesting to us, the Netgear LAX20 gets 30down7up, the LBR20 (pointing at same masts) gets 185down,15up.

kindest regards from a very sultry (read sweaty) SW France,

Vern

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

As far as I can tell, failover will switch when the connection stops working. So if your isp stops your connection at 210gb, it should work. If they step it down to "low data rate" but the connection still works, then I'm not sure if it'll switch over. 

Again, neither device is load balancing so there isn't a way to set it in the settings to split the 2. 

And I dont have either device to see if there's a way to set them to disable after a certain amount of data is used. 

A bit funny how the lax20 gets the much lower speeds. Have you tried swapping sim cards? maybe one was provisioned different. 

Message 4 of 5
ChezStevens
Tutor

Sorry for not replying earlier,

I have been making patch cables for our exterior POE cameras. I love the security of POE cameras especially when coupled with UPS & 4G routers. Bit of a faff at my age, peer at the blooming things and is that blue or blue/white when pushed in.

There is a clutch of masts in a small arc below us (we are on top of a large hill with prairie in front of us).  This may explain the difference between the speeds (all serving different mobile providers). I have set them up and will report if it works as advertised! If not, doubtless I'll fiddle.

kr, Vern

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7