Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fake advertised speeds Orbi RBR850

JayLa86
Aspirant

Fake advertised speeds Orbi RBR850

Hello,

We recently purchased the RBK853 AX6000 system to provide coverage for my home which is roughly 6,500sqft. We've updated the current firmware and done a factory reset from the start. Now I'm trying to wrap my head around why different speeds are being advertised then what I'm actually getting.

Common FAQ:

ISP : Cox Gigablast

Modem: Netgear Nighthawk CM1100 DOS 3.1 (Cox approved modem)

Connected Cable to main router: Cat5E

Purchased From: Amazon

Speed from Modem: Directly plugged in reached 1Gigabit to laptop

Router Settings: IPv6 Enabled, DNS Set to Google default for Ipv4/Ipv6

Done mutliple restarts, Connected device from screen shot is from an AC Client laptop.  

DSLReports.jpgSpeedTest.jpg

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Fake advertised speeds Orbi RBR850

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is LAG disabled on the CM modem? 

What are the wired speeds with the wired PC connected to the back of the RBR using Ooklas installable speed test app? 

AC client wifi will max out at around 400-500Mpbs depending upon mfr design and support.  Will never see anything near 900Mpbs. Wired connection with a PC should see near 900Mpbs or over...

Heres what I get with my Orbi AX sysetm on a Mac Book Pro 2018 wirelessly connected to the RBR:

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 9.55.01 PM.png

Be sure to power OFF The ISP modem for 1 minute then back on when rebooting the RBR.

Is Armor enabled on the RBR? 

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 13
JayLa86
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply,

The current firmware on all units are V3.2.16.6.

LAG is disabled.

Here are my wired speeds from my AC client laptop.

DSLReports.pngSpeedtest.png

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Those are good wired speeds. Wireless will be different on AC class devices. 

Message 4 of 13
JayLa86
Aspirant

Thank you for the insight, however I'm still trying to resolve why my wireless speeds are no where near what I should be getting.

Also Armor is disabled.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of the wifi adapter in your laptop? 

Message 6 of 13
JayLa86
Aspirant

I'm currently using an Acer Predator Helios 500, with an Killer's AC1550i. All of my drivers are update to date.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the connection rate being reported by the adapter when connected to Orbi? 

Message 8 of 13
JayLa86
Aspirant

On a good day it'll would show 866.78Mbps, however it varies from 50-800Mbps.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Well this is what I'm seeing with a ASUS GT-AX1100 in wireless bridge mode:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK-852-New-Firmware-Version-V3-2-16-6-1-4-4/m-p/2002594/hi...

Line of site and about 20feet away from the RBR.

Message 10 of 13
JayLa86
Aspirant

Appreciate the input, however any Netgear reps care to chime in? Did I just throw over 1k worth of routers down the drain?

Message 11 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

@JayLa86 wrote:

Appreciate the input, however any Netgear reps care to chime in? Did I just throw over 1k worth of routers down the drain?

Slow wireless speeds can be caused by interference. Wiring, WIFI channel setting, walls, router and satellites placed too close to other F devices, distance between satellites and routers all play a role in interference. I would first check you WIFI channel settings, as you mentioned earlier that your speeds fluctuate drasticly. 

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't commonly comment in forum posts. I recommend you open a support ticket with NG support and make contact with them directly and ask for additional help and information. 

@JayLa86 wrote:

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7