Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest Network use............

BlueSurf
Aspirant

Guest Network use............

I have the Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK753S) AX4200 Mesh System.

I set up the Guest Network and I gave it a name and very long password. 

I checked off Security Options (WPA3-Personal [SAE]). 

On my main set up I checked WPA2-PSK [AES].  

If I use the guest network on my iPhone 11 Pro Max will I be able to acess everything on my main network? Home automation, Alaarm system, etc.

Can someone explane if in my Main network this should be checked/used? WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Checking this, will it lock us out of anything?

I remember checking this on my main setwork and not being able to access the internet?

I wish NetGear would give much more information on these security features. 

Thanks for your comment.

Model: Dual Band
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Guest Network use............

The guest network is designed to be separate from the main network resources -- with the exception of reaching the WAN.

Your guest network will NOT/should NOT be able to see main network resources (like printers, cameras, alarms, NAS's doorbells, etc).

That is the purpose of a guest network, to give internet access (WAN) but to protect internal resources you dont want guests snooping in.

The encryption on the network has nothing to do with what can be seen in the guest network... it is merely the encryption techniques used on that wireless network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

The guest network is designed to be separate from the main network resources -- with the exception of reaching the WAN.

Your guest network will NOT/should NOT be able to see main network resources (like printers, cameras, alarms, NAS's doorbells, etc).

That is the purpose of a guest network, to give internet access (WAN) but to protect internal resources you dont want guests snooping in.

The encryption on the network has nothing to do with what can be seen in the guest network... it is merely the encryption techniques used on that wireless network.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Be aware that WPA3 maybe not be backwards compatible with wifi devices. WPA3 is still new and being developed. The WPA community and wifi router mfrs are still working on getting WPA2 and WPA3 working together. I believe there are problems thus NG hasn't made an option for mixed mode WPA2 and WPA3 to be enabled at the same time. So if you have any wifi devices that do not support WPA3, you'll need to select WPA2 and AES to ensure your wifi devices work with the Orbi system. 

@BlueSurf wrote:

I have the Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK753S) AX4200 Mesh System.

I set up the Guest Network and I gave it a name and very long password. 

I checked off Security Options (WPA3-Personal [SAE]). 

On my main set up I checked WPA2-PSK [AES].  

If I use the guest network on my iPhone 11 Pro Max will I be able to acess everything on my main network? Home automation, Alaarm system, etc.

Can someone explane if in my Main network this should be checked/used? WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Checking this, will it lock us out of anything?

I remember checking this on my main setwork and not being able to access the internet?

I wish NetGear would give much more information on these security features. 

Thanks for your comment.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7