Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Guest Wifi in AP mode (w/FiOS router)

ScottD67
Star

RBR850 Guest Wifi in AP mode (w/FiOS router)

Based on my searches it seems others have been able to get guest wifi networks on the Orbi working when the unit is in AP mode (vs router mode).    I'm using the RBK852 and can't seem to get my guest wifi working in AP mode.

My setup:

RBR850 Orbi with single RBS850 satellite

V3.2.9.2_1.2.4 F/W

AP mode

Standard wifi configuration for my non-guest wifi network

Verizon FiOS G1100 as primary router with wifi disabled (both 2.4/5G radios)
RBR850 WAN port connected to G1100 LAN port

Everything is working great on the non-guest wifi.

When I enable the Orbi guest wifi I see the SSID appear but attempts to access web sites respond with "no internet available" errors.  When I look a little more deeply clients are connected to the wifi with a 19.168.2.x address and I can ping the Orbi which is the default gateway at 192.168.2.1.   However I can't ping past that, there doesn't seem to be a route in the Orbi to get packets to the FiOS router.  I can't ping the WAN interface of the FiOS router (which I can when I'm connected to the non-guest wifi) or the 192.168.1.1 address of the FiOS router. 

Does anyone else have a similar configuration working on the 850s or things I could try?

Message 1 of 3
Bandito
Luminary

Re: RBR850 Guest Wifi in AP mode (w/FiOS router)

It looks like someone else is running into the same issue.  See:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK53-Guest-Network-No-Internet-and-missing-checkboxes/td-p... 

It sounds like There may be a problem with the Orbi's in AP mode.  I'd give Netgear a call and see what they can determine.

Just curious, but is there a reason you want/need to keep your FIOS router as the active router for the network?  The Netgear routing seems to be pretty robust and gives you more info via the  router's web page.

Message 2 of 3
ScottD67
Star

Re: RBR850 Guest Wifi in AP mode (w/FiOS router)

Thanks.  

I'll probably get rid of my FiOS router in a few months.  Right now I'm reworking my home network to get off the FiOS STBs.   Once that happens and I will most likely move over to the Orbi.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7