Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to enable anywhere access

beckss1
Tutor

How to enable anywhere access

Dear gurus.

Could you please explain why when enable anywhere access from application all time receive error "something go wrong ...." and if exist option to enable this from orbilogin dashbord managment.

Thanks and best regards,

Stas 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to enable anywhere access

@beckss1 wrote:

Dear gurus.

Could you please explain why when enable anywhere access from application all time receive error "something go wrong ...." and if exist option to enable this from orbilogin dashbord managment.

Thanks and best regards,

Stas 

The Everywhere Access function in the Orbi "app" is more likely to get an informed response if posted in the community forum that discusses the Orbi app: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 

I have seen the question posted here a couple of times and the only answer I recall is (a) keep trying and eventually it will work, or (b) reinstall the Orbi and app.  (not much help.)

I do not find the Orbi app very helpful, so I use VPN access to reach my Orbi when not at home.

Message 2 of 5
beckss1
Tutor

Hi.,

Could you explain steps for building VPN or point to post where I can receive information for this.

Thanks and regards

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@beckss1 wrote:

Could you explain steps for building VPN or point to post where I can receive information for this.

Thanks and regards

Perhaps it would be worth reviewing the three ways that users can access the Orbi system when "remote":

• Remote Management.  The Orbi web interface provides a way for users to connect to the Orbi using any web browser.
    This is on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Remote Management.
    Basically, the user signs up for a "Dynamic DNS" (DDNS) service so that when the ISP changes the IP address assigned to the customer the new IP will be recorded.
    Then a port is opened on the Orbi for https web connections.
    Since the Orbi web site is authenticated using user name "admin" and a password, this web site is as "secure" as the password.
    My password is 25 characters long and a web calculator claims it would take about 4 million years for it to be broken.
    It's pretty simple to activate and provides full access to the Orbi web interface from anywhere.
    I personally do not use it because once the port is open, people immediately begin trying to connect to it and the Orbi log fills up with "invalid password attempt" records.  I could stop logging them, but it was just annoying.  So, I turned to...
  • OpenVPN.  Orbi includes OpenVPN Hosting capability.  This requires the same DDNS setup.
    Instructions on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, VPN Service show how to set it up, download the VPN configuration files for Windows, Mac, & smartphones, and instructions on how to set it up.  It found it a bit tricky and took several attempts before I got it working.  VPN essentially grants a remote device access to the Orbi LAN, so it can connect to the Orbi web interface or to any other computer on the Orbi LAN.  People who want to access file servers, security cameras, or other resources sometimes find this useful.  It also allows a device to "turn around" and access the internet and appear to come from the Orbi rather than where they actually are located.  This is what commercial VPN services do. (Hide my actual IP and location.)
  • Anywhere Access.  This is built into the Orbi "app" and uses a connection through the Netgear "Cloud".  It is secured by the Netgear login credentials and connected to the specific Orbi serial number (somehow).  I found it of little interest because the app simply does not provide access to many Orbi settings.  If it works, however, it is trivial to set up.  One click and it's done.

So, a long-winded response.  If all you want to do is things the app will do, I would try the app forum and see if someone has a way to get the damn thing to do what it is supposed to do.  Second choice would be the Remote Management, choose a very strong password, and be done.  I'd save VPN for last.

Message 4 of 5

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7