Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi app defaults to Anywhere Access instead of “Connected Locally”

CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi app defaults to Anywhere Access instead of “Connected Locally”

The experiment is done. The first version of the Android Orbi app which forces Anywhere Access is 2.10.1.1584, June 14, 2021.

Previous to that version, opening the Orbi app when connected to the Orbi LAN did not switch to the cloud, even when Anywhere Access was enabled in the app.  Beginning with version 2.10.1.1584, opening the app when connected to the Orbi LAN immediately switches to Anywhere Access and shows the 'cloud' icon inside the circle rather than the 'house'.

So, the app changed in June. No one detected the change and raised a stink until recently. And, Netgear created a Knowledge Base article on Nov 1 implying that it was always the default.

This is (yet another) example illustrating the confusion that comes about when there are not detailed release notes when software changes.  (Who knows: maybe there was a tiny reference in the App Store when this release came out.  I do not usually open the notes when my Android devices update apps.  Does anybody?)  If there had been a "Change Log" available to examine, it would have been obvious that "oh, yes. This happened back in June."

The only way to disable this would be to:

• Open the app.
  • Disable Anywhere Access.
  • Close the app.
  • Reopen the app.
  • Do what you want to do.
  • Enable Anywhere Access.
  • Close the app.

Way too much effort.

One wonders if the Orbi app will function without internet access. i.e. suppose the Orbi loses internet (ISP down perhaps). Will the app function when connected to the Orbi LAN and there is no internet access?   (I will find out on Friday when we have a scheduled power outage and there is a good chance Spectrum will be cut off.)

Message 26 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you see releases notes for the June Orbi app update or is that no longer available? 

I would pose this, is there a problem with the app defaulting to the Cloud? 

Message 27 of 36
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you see releases notes for the June Orbi app update or is that no longer available? 

I would pose this, is there a problem with the app defaulting to the Cloud? 

For Android, APK Mirror has copies of every Orbi app release. Although tedious, this allowed me to uninstall the Orbi app, load one of the previous versions, test whether it always switched to the cloud, then repeat with another version.

In normal operation, always using the cloud would seem not to pose a problem (except for offending one's sense of efficiency.  "Why does every packet have to make a round trip to Netgear's cloud when both the Orbi and the app are on the same LAN?)  Most IoT apps function only through the cloud.

I'll know tomorrow when Edison cuts power for four hours for scheduled maintenance.

• Does loss of Edison power disrupt Spectrum internet?
  • If Spectrum goes out, does the Orbi app remain on the LAN.... or what?
Message 28 of 36
CrimpOn
Guru

Experiment Completed.

When Edison cut power today, before shutting down the UPS, I disconnected Orbi from the cable modem and then opened the Orbi App on two devices connected to the Orbi WiFi.

They spent a long time "connecting" to the Orbi, but eventually did connect over the LAN connection. (little house in the circle).

It is beyond my technical capability to discover if communication between Orbi app and Orbi router are exactly the same over both pathways or if they differ in any way.  I still think it is inefficient, but at least the Netgear 'cloud' would not appear to be a potential point of failure for clients that are connected to the LAN.

Message 29 of 36
jkk4_1998
Apprentice

Nope, it will not allow to to disable “anywhere access”. Go figure

Message 30 of 36
Juanderful
Initiate

The issue is Private Relay. Turn it off, restart the app and it works like normal again. People here are geniuses, thanks!! Explains why Android does not have this issue
Message 31 of 36
Dooderama
Aspirant

Can confirm disabling private relay does not help the issue.
Still an issue..
Message 32 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 33 of 36
Dooderama
Aspirant

Just checked in my settings, and network access was enabled.

It’s frustrating- certain functions won’t allow changes while on anywhere access, but I can’t connect locally since these updates.
Message 34 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Now select the 3 horizontal lines top upper left corner of the app, this this will pull up the app menu list. The first entry should be connected to the RBR. Select this line item here and Your Products list. There should be a entry for your system an Local should be seen under it. If you see this, select this entry. 

Message 35 of 36
ck247
Aspirant

Can confirm the private relay factor for my 960 and recent Orbi apps (v2.23) on current iOS (16.2).
Turning off iCloud private relay enables local orbi connection, with private relay enabled only anywhere access works.
The Orbi off course had local network access and (exact) location access when used but it seems to hinge only at private relay for me.
Since I do not see any real advantage using Orbi App locally (I am a web gui guy anyway) I will keep iCloud private relay active, the privacy features are worth it.
Message 36 of 36
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7