Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 + RBS850 Orbi App Speed much higher than device Ookla Speedtest

jeff1r
Tutor

RBR850 + RBS850 Orbi App Speed much higher than device Ookla Speedtest

Orbi Application Speed Test = 1,056 down. On same exact iphone device connected to same Orbi main RBR850 router using Chrome and the Ookla Speedtest is getting 218 down. Notebook book computer is getting around 295 down. Also having lag issues with Notebook computer during Teams calls. I have tried switching between the WPA2 and WPA+WPA2 security protocols, that has not had much impact.

If anyone could provide information on what could be causing this lost performance I would appreciate it.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR850 + RBS850 Orbi App Speed much higher than device Ookla Speedtest

When you run the speedtest in the orbi app, it actually hosts the tests on the main router. So it isn't based on your wifi speeds. When you run it on the speedtest app, it hosts the test on the device the speedtest is being run on. Thats why you see a speed difference. 

1. what modem/gateway do you have? 

2. what firmware is on the router? And on the satellites? 

3. is it only during teams calls that you have lag? Do all devices running teams experience the same thing?

Message 2 of 8
jeff1r
Tutor

Thank you for the quick reply. That makes sense how the speeds are different, is my expectation that my devices should be able to have 1,000 down reasonable - especially with the main router wifi having the bandwidth available at 1,000+?

I had to come into the office for a few meetings. I will provide answers to the modem, firmware, satellite questions when I get home this afternoon. Yes, the Team calls lag both on the computer and iPhone, when video off it tends to help and then the audio cutting out is less often.  We also get some random buffering during Netflix and YouTubeTV, not near as much as the Teams interruptions but it does happen once or twice during say a 2hr movie.  Thanks again for your help.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Its doubtfull to hit 1000+ over wifi and I'll explain why. 

The RBK850 series has a 2400mbps front haul and a 2400mbps backhaul. But thats over a 4x4 antenna connection. 

Most of your wireless devices are all 2x2. So their maximum connection rate is 1200mbps. 

But problem with that is that its link speed. In practice, throughput (actual speed) tends to be roughly 55-65% of link speed. Some higher quality devices might hit a little above that but not a whole lot. So in practice, you expect around that 600-800mbps if you have an 2x2 AX devices and you're close to the router. 

I'd recommend reading Dong Ngo's review as he does a great job of reviewing it. 

https://dongknows.com/netgear-rbk852-orbi-ax6000-wifi-6-system-review/

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

How big is your home and what materials is it made from (internally)?

Some materials block wifi better than others. 

Message 5 of 8
jeff1r
Tutor

House is about 4,800sq ft - but I can run the test from iphone or notebook on WiFi within 20' of the main router or satellite and it has the same results.

House construction is the typical 2x6/2x4 walls, 2x12 joists, flooring is ceramic, hardwood, carpet, etc.

Message 6 of 8
jeff1r
Tutor

Modem = Hitron EN2251 - Hardware Ver: 1C PC15

Base = RBR850 v4.6.7.13

Sat = RBS850 v4.6.3.16

The WiFi devices are running on the WPA/WPA2 security protocol due to some home WiFi components not being able to use the WPA2 protocol. I was thinking about running WPA2 for the main WiFi network, then WPA/WPA2 for the Guest WiFi. Then connect the home components and cameras thru the Guest WiFi. I am dissapointed this very expensive system doesn't have more WiFi network options - as we also have a handful of devices that seem to perform best on the WPA3 protocol.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@jeff1r wrote:

Modem = Hitron EN2251 - Hardware Ver: 1C PC15

Base = RBR850 v4.6.7.13

Sat = RBS850 v4.6.3.16< The RBS should be using same version of FW as the RBR. RBS should be updated before the RBR is updated.

The WiFi devices are running on the WPA/WPA2 security protocol due to some home WiFi components not being able to use the WPA2 protocol. I was thinking about running WPA2 for the main WiFi network, then WPA/WPA2 for the Guest WiFi. Then connect the home components and cameras thru the Guest WiFi. I am dissapointed this very expensive system doesn't have more WiFi network options - as we also have a handful of devices that seem to perform best on the WPA3 protocol.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7