Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some device ps not showing full signal strength with Orbi WiFi 6

AChang
Aspirant

Some device ps not showing full signal strength with Orbi WiFi 6

I just installed an Orbi WiFi 6 mesh system.  Some of my devices are not showing full signal strength on the Orbi app (as per photo).

The devices are connected to the same satellite station, and are right next to each other.  Does anyone know why some devices have full signal strength and others do not?

I’ve contacted Netgear support who were unable to help. They just ran me through a compete factory reinstall of the system but nothing has changed.

Thanks

IMG_1902.jpeg

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Some device ps not showing full signal strength with Orbi WiFi 6

What happens when you turn OFF the RBS and check the status?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using?

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Not sure how exactly the app confirms a good signal versus a bad but it could be a difference in technology in your device for those devices and/or what band they're connected to

Message 3 of 5
AChang
Aspirant

If I turn off the RBS, there is no change in the signal strength displayed in the Orbi App on the devices in question.  I should point out that the devices themselves show full signal strength (but the signal strength on the Orbi App shows a weak signal). I am not sure if this is just a problem with the Orib App as the devices connect to the internet fine.

I am running the latest firmware (V6.3.6.4_1.2.68) which was confirmed by the Netgear Consultant.  I am connected to my NBN modem and my service provider is Optus. I don't know who makes the NBN modem, but everyone gets the same modem (the NBN is owned by the Australian Government).

The Orbi is connected to the NBN modem using Cat6.  My home is not that large, and I can see Orbi router and satellite are in direct line of sight from each other (around 30 feet away).

The 5GHz is set to Channel 40 (which was the default), and the 2.4GHz is set to Automatic.

The Netgear tech did try changing the channels on the 5GHz to 48 and then to 60(DFS) but it had no change.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a minor bug in the Orbi app. Might submit a bug report with your data, info and screen capture:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/How-to-report-a-bug-on-the-Orbi-App/td-p/2140980/jump-to/f...

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7