Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[case 45961784 ]Missing speed test option on Orbi 760 - Pathetic and unprofessional Customer Support

akshaymanchanda
Follower

[case 45961784 ]Missing speed test option on Orbi 760 - Pathetic and unprofessional Customer Support

Hi Netgear team,

I am writing in this forum seeking help wiith request 45961784 since the customer care has just dropped the ball on it everytime I contacted them.

I bought an ORBI 760 from Costco 2 weeks back. When II started using it my ISP download speed for not as comitted.

I decided to use speed test feature on orbi app and did not see the option.

Contacted support through chat , got disconnected from it at least 5 time during the process, wasted 1.5 hour on first troubleshooting chat.

The lady told me that "advanced settings" on orbi portal login should have had qos settings but its not present.

So they cannot do much except reflashing the firmware on the main orbi router.

I connected with a customer support engineer on the 2nd day , he asked me to factory reset the box and not to update default settings.

We did that over a call, the problem persisted.

I was asked that the case will be escalated and I ll be receiving a callback in 24 hours which never completed till today.

I had take the initiative to call and asked whats going on with the issue and the support engineer kept arguing that my ISP is responsible for the low speed.

I kept explaining , my concern is with the feature not available, what does my ISP has to do with it.

Funny argument continued before I surrendered and decided I ll return this device to Costco, and find a better device which has this basic feature of speed testing available.

Then she told me its a bug and we cannot do anything to solve the issue. please proceed with return of the devices.

I am still puzzled what is the truth. 

Was the support not capable to solve my problem or was it really a bug?

If its a bug, is there no workaround to it?

Can I downgrade my firmware to get the speed option etc.

I felp so helpless spending so much time in troubleshooting this and the final answer I got from Netgear was truly a nightmare.

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: [case 45961784 ]Missing speed test option on Orbi 760 - Pathetic and unprofessional Customer Sup

Would you mind sharing the URL where you found a chat option for Netgear support?

The reason I ask, is I have not found Netgear to be offering "chat" support

This web site appears to indicate that Netgear does not offer support through chat.

https://gethuman.com/chat/Netgear 

Needless to say, I am confused.

Message 2 of 5
Jeffgear
Luminary

Re: [case 45961784 ]Missing speed test option on Orbi 760 - Pathetic and unprofessional Customer Sup

Hi there - sorry you've had a poor experience. I have the Orbi RBR50 mesh and the speed test on the browser admin session and Orbi app (same thing different app presentation layer) is not worth writing home about. It does not allow you to select a specific ISP's server like the Ookla Speedtest app itself on the Mac or iPhone or Apple TV, so defaults to some unknown one and never gives results the same as the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV or Mac version. I get 800+ down, 350+ up on these when hard wired into the RBR50 from my ISP's 900/400 plan but the Orbi app or RBR admin session gives consistently 500/100 results and the ping response has only just started to work in the newest Orbi app version when it used to show 0ms every time. 

I logged a feature request last year for the lack of being able to choose a server and for the ping being wrong. Hopefully they are gradually resolving these quirks or have a bug on your model's firmware that isn't showing it, or they have decided to stop licensing Speedtest and have removed the feature from your model's firmware, but you'd think the6 would be able to confirm this. 

Message 3 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

As mentioned above, we usually recommend NOT using the Orbi's built-in speed test and instead going directly to speedtest.net or using their phone app.  We've seen some cases where the Orbi measurement doesn't match what these direct methods report.  Also, your measurement will be more correct because it is from your client (phone, PC) instead of just from your Orbi base router.

There are many reasons why your measured speed at home doesn't match the full capabilities of your ISP.  This FAQ gives some basic first steps to diagnose and narrow down where the speed degradation is happening: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slo...

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What mobile platform are you using? IF Apple, review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@akshaymanchanda wrote:

Hi Netgear team,

I am writing in this forum seeking help wiith request 45961784 since the customer care has just dropped the ball on it everytime I contacted them.

I bought an ORBI 760 from Costco 2 weeks back. When II started using it my ISP download speed for not as comitted.

I decided to use speed test feature on orbi app and did not see the option.

Contacted support through chat , got disconnected from it at least 5 time during the process, wasted 1.5 hour on first troubleshooting chat.

The lady told me that "advanced settings" on orbi portal login should have had qos settings but its not present.

So they cannot do much except reflashing the firmware on the main orbi router.

I connected with a customer support engineer on the 2nd day , he asked me to factory reset the box and not to update default settings.

We did that over a call, the problem persisted.

I was asked that the case will be escalated and I ll be receiving a callback in 24 hours which never completed till today.

I had take the initiative to call and asked whats going on with the issue and the support engineer kept arguing that my ISP is responsible for the low speed.

I kept explaining , my concern is with the feature not available, what does my ISP has to do with it.

Funny argument continued before I surrendered and decided I ll return this device to Costco, and find a better device which has this basic feature of speed testing available.

Then she told me its a bug and we cannot do anything to solve the issue. please proceed with return of the devices.

I am still puzzled what is the truth. 

Was the support not capable to solve my problem or was it really a bug?

If its a bug, is there no workaround to it?

Can I downgrade my firmware to get the speed option etc.

I felp so helpless spending so much time in troubleshooting this and the final answer I got from Netgear was truly a nightmare.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7