Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help on configuring Wired ports for Internet access via Employee (20) VLAN - Orbi Pro 6

JoeJoeJoeJoe
Tutor

Help on configuring Wired ports for Internet access via Employee (20) VLAN - Orbi Pro 6

Trying to setup wired ports with Internet access on Orbi Pro 6 (SRX80).

I have the Orbi router connected to CenturyLink fiber ONT, using PPoE with defined VLAN (201).  The WiFi (default 1 and employee 20) works fine - clients attach and have Internet access using WiFi via CenturyLink.

My problem is getting the wired ports to have Internet access.  I have IoT camera, printer, and sercurity alarm (Ethernet wired) that I want on seperate VLAN with Internet access.

The only way I have found to have Internet access via wired port is to assign the CenturyLink VLAN (201) to the wired port.  Default 1 or Employee 20 won't allow Internet connections.  How do I get Default 1, Employee 20 or IoT VLAN to have wired Internet access?

Thanks for any help.

My wired port configuration:
Orbi_pro_2.png

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JoeJoeJoeJoe
Tutor

Re: Help on configuring Wired ports for Internet access via Employee (20) VLAN - Orbi Pro 6

I solved my problem.

First I filed a support ticket with Netgear.  Support was very good and called twice to help me out.

The solution was to add a Netgear GS105Ev2 switch between the fiber ONT and Orbi Pro.  The switch is setup to just remove the VLAN 201 tagging.  How to do this is explained in these posts:

https://wimsworld.wordpress.com/2018/02/15/vlan-tagging-for-centurylink/ 

or

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31043915-How-to-almost-use-any-router-with-CenturyLink-s-1-Gig-Inte... 

With this setup, I can set the Orbi router WAM port to Default(1) (instead of 201) and now can assign the router wired port to any VLAN and everything works.

Is somewhat disappointing that the Orbi Pro can't support ISP's with VLAN tagging (like CenturyLink) without addtional equipment.  Could be a useful feature to add.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Out of the box, each Network can be operated like a simple LAN on a basic router, NAT, DHCP et all is enabled.

Is it possible your router is configured to plain access point mode only instead of router mode?

Message 2 of 6
JoeJoeJoeJoe
Tutor

@schumaku thanks for replying.

The Orbi is in Router and not bridge mode - see attached screen shot.

LAN2 just enabled with no changes from out of the box configuration - see attached screen shot.

VLAN 20 is configured out of the box and as I mention VLAN 20 works fine for wireless clients.  Just can't get to work as wired client, but VLAN 201 does work via wired Ethernet ports.  

orbi_pro_4.pngorbi_pro_3.png

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Can't see anything obviously wrong - especially because the VLAN 20 seems to bound ok, unless there is some other space... @BruceGuo do you see a chance for  KB entry showing the config of a tagged WAN/Internet port config example on these devices? And then another KB entry showing the complete associations required for an existing or new network to the VLAN, Wi-Fi SSID, router and satellite ports?  We see to many similar questions here.... 

Afraid, lack practical of experience on these newer ORBI pro devices, I have to skip ...

Message 4 of 6
JoeJoeJoeJoe
Tutor

I solved my problem.

First I filed a support ticket with Netgear.  Support was very good and called twice to help me out.

The solution was to add a Netgear GS105Ev2 switch between the fiber ONT and Orbi Pro.  The switch is setup to just remove the VLAN 201 tagging.  How to do this is explained in these posts:

https://wimsworld.wordpress.com/2018/02/15/vlan-tagging-for-centurylink/ 

or

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31043915-How-to-almost-use-any-router-with-CenturyLink-s-1-Gig-Inte... 

With this setup, I can set the Orbi router WAM port to Default(1) (instead of 201) and now can assign the router wired port to any VLAN and everything works.

Is somewhat disappointing that the Orbi Pro can't support ISP's with VLAN tagging (like CenturyLink) without addtional equipment.  Could be a useful feature to add.

Message 5 of 6
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @JoeJoeJoeJoe 

There is a known issue. Currently we are working on it. We can share beta FW  in next week. Let us know if you want to try out.

Thanks,

Raghu.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements