Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help with Vlan tagging for sxs80 wired backhaul

Bnjmn22
Aspirant

Need help with Vlan tagging for sxs80 wired backhaul

Hi,

I have Century Link fiber. My Orbi RBK853 worked fine with wan Vlan tagging for both the router and satellite.

However, I had to switch to the Orbi Pro system for the multiple VLAN ssid functions.

I cannot get the satellite to tag traffic both on the Ethernet ports and on the wireless connected clients to tag 201 and to get internet connection.

I suspect this is how my ports /Vlan is configured differently on the Orbi Pro.

Again, 2 units, satellite wired back haul, no internet connection from satellite but devices are connecting just fine and talking to each other on the LAN.

Thank you- I’ve been trying to get this to work for hours!
Message 1 of 10
Bnjmn22
Aspirant

Re: Need help with Vlan tagging for sxs80 wired backhaul

This is what my VLAN / Bridge settings look like now.

It works, but problem is that I think now its in wireless mode as the connection is rated as "fair" and my ping/speed seems slower than my RB853Untitled2.jpg

Message 2 of 10
Bnjmn22
Aspirant

I found the exact same problem someone else was having. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/Help-on-configuring-Wired-ports-fo...

I'm also on CenturyLink that requires a 201 tag VLAN, which is why my WAN is set to 201.

Is there no other solution but buying an extra switch?

What is the new beta firmware solution?

I have the new beta firmware installed.

Message 3 of 10
Bnjmn22
Aspirant

Update,

I installed the new 4.0.0.118 firmware and I see the Bridge/VLAN tag I was using is gone. Now, there is an IPTV one I set to 201, and then I set the WAN back to 1/default and it does not connect to internet. However, when I set WAN to 201, a custom ID I created, it works but the satellite is not working again.

Also no lan ports are connecting to the internet either.

Message 4 of 10
Bnjmn22
Aspirant

Ok, so now I have the second port set to the IPTV VLAN (set to 201). This port, on the router, is hardwired to my satellite (port 1) for backhaul. Its working again similarly to how Bridge/VLAN was working.

However, this is because it is now wirelessly backhauling. I have confirmed this by unplugging the satellite. Also wired LAN ports on the router cannot access internet. It seems like VLAN tagging can only be set to one port at one time? 

Can someone provide clarity? Is having an external switch like the GS105Ev2 set to 201 tagging, the only real solution?

I thought the beta firmware would have a fix 🙂  my family is starting to hate me working non stop on the weekend on this.

Untitled7.jpg

Message 5 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Bnjmn22,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I found the exact same problem someone else was having. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/Help-on-configuring-Wired-ports-fo...

I'm also on CenturyLink that requires a 201 tag VLAN, which is why my WAN is set to 201.

Is there no other solution but buying an extra switch?

What is the new beta firmware solution?

I have the new beta firmware installed.

Just found out that the community member, JoeJoeJoeJoe, from this thread​​​​​ was given a beta firmware by the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  It might be different from the beta firmware version you are referring to that you have uploaded to your SXK80.

I installed the new 4.0.0.118 firmware and I see the Bridge/VLAN tag I was using is gone.

Since you have already uploaded the official latest firmware version that was recently released, let us try to perform a factory reset on your SRK80 then reconfigure the settings from scratch and check if you will encounter the same problem.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 10
Bnjmn22
Aspirant

Yes, I did a factory reset and it is still not working, so maybe it is a different beta.

As an update to this thread, I bought an external netgear switch GS105Ev2 and I tagged the in-coming traffic on port 1/2 and connected port 1 to my CenturyLink fiber and port 2 to the SXR80 and that fixed the issue. It does require an extra physical hop/cost  which is not ideal given the RBR8530does this inside the router itself.

Message 7 of 10
Bnjmn22
Aspirant

I recieved a message asking if I wanted the beta firmware to fix VLAN tagging. However the FROM email was do_not_reply@neatgear.com and no way to reply to JeraldM or DaneA.

I also recieved the beta agreement form but nowhere to sign or "Accept".

It does say "Thank you for accepting, someone will be in touch". Or something like that. So I assume its "accepted" by clicking on it.

Can someone please help as I would like to new beta firmware for VLAN tagging fix on WAN?

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try sending @DaneA or @JeraldM a PM. 

Or: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/New-SXK80-Series-Firmware-Version-...

@Bnjmn22 wrote:

I recieved a message asking if I wanted the beta firmware to fix VLAN tagging. However the FROM email was do_not_reply@neatgear.com and no way to reply to JeraldM or DaneA.

I also recieved the beta agreement form but nowhere to sign or "Accept".

It does say "Thank you for accepting, someone will be in touch". Or something like that. So I assume its "accepted" by clicking on it.

Can someone please help as I would like to new beta firmware for VLAN tagging fix on WAN?

Message 9 of 10
Bnjmn22
Aspirant

Done. I was sent a beta firmware link by JeraldM but the Sharepoint link was not accessible to anyone outside the Microsoft Netgear domain/authentication. If the new beta firmware works I will keep this thread updated.

Thank you,

Benjamin

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements