Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router as DHCP Server but with External IP Address for 1 machine inside the network

valhallany
Aspirant

Router as DHCP Server but with External IP Address for 1 machine inside the network

Hi, I know this is a newbie question, especially for the "Pro" forum but I inherited this netwrok and need to deal with it now...

I have a network set up with the router as a DHCP server (192.168.1.2 to 254). Everything works, people connect to the network, get an IP automatically assigned and are happy.

But now I'll need to have an FTP server inside the network which will need to have its own external IP address. What's the best way to configure this in the Orbi settings? And on the server (a Mac)?

I get internet service from Verizon FiOS and I have 5 external IP addresses. This is the info they give me (actual numbers changed for privacy reasons):

Your Static IP Address(es) have been assigned as follows:

Quantity : 5
Starting IP Address : 111.11.11.11
You will also need to configure:

Gateway : 222.22.22.2
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS : 33.333.333.33
Secondary DNS : 44.444.4.44

These settings above are how I have my router configured to give internet to the connected devices... and I'd like to have this new server I'm installing use the very next available IP address that I got from Verizon FiOS, in which case it'd be 111.11.11.12

Here are my Orbi Pro router details:

Hardware Version: SRR60
Firmware Version: V2.3.5.108
GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.351
Operation Mode: Router

I have 3 Satellites connected but I don't think it's relevant to this question.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can offer!

Thank you!

Model: SRK60B04|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Router as DHCP Server but with External IP Address for 1 machine inside the network

No Netgear consumer routers (including cable gateways, DSL routers, Nightawk, Nighthawk Pro Gaming, Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 routers, Orbi) are coming with support for handling WAN/Internet subnets with multiple available IP addresses, flexible NAT configuration, ... and multiple VLAN/security zones - features every "free" ISP router has nowadays..

The same applies to the "Small Business BU" Orbi Pro (@DaneA is correct), and unless something has changed recently, also to the BR500 router.

Don't know for how many times this features were requested for either product line. Mostly a waste of time, sorry to say. Netgear is stuck in some 1990 router design with Web UI design form done sub-average by a 14 year old - and is (not only on this point) unable to change and adopt the router design to what is standard for decades on other vendors. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Router as DHCP Server but with External IP Address for 1 machine inside the network

@valhallany,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

As far as I have checked, there is no option in the Orbi Pro Router to set secondary WAN IP Addresses.  You may want to post this as a feature request in the Idea Exchange for Business here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
schumaku
Guru

No Netgear consumer routers (including cable gateways, DSL routers, Nightawk, Nighthawk Pro Gaming, Nighthawk Wi-Fi 6 routers, Orbi) are coming with support for handling WAN/Internet subnets with multiple available IP addresses, flexible NAT configuration, ... and multiple VLAN/security zones - features every "free" ISP router has nowadays..

The same applies to the "Small Business BU" Orbi Pro (@DaneA is correct), and unless something has changed recently, also to the BR500 router.

Don't know for how many times this features were requested for either product line. Mostly a waste of time, sorry to say. Netgear is stuck in some 1990 router design with Web UI design form done sub-average by a 14 year old - and is (not only on this point) unable to change and adopt the router design to what is standard for decades on other vendors. 

Message 3 of 4
valhallany
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the responses guys. Dissapointing info but answers my question 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements