Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRR60 Configure DNS for Guest Wi-Fi with Client Isolation

kaleidoscopic
Follower

SRR60 Configure DNS for Guest Wi-Fi with Client Isolation

We have an Orbi Pro AC3000 (SRR60) that we'll be upgrading soon due to it being end-of-life. However, in the meanwhile, I'm trying to set up the guest Wi-Fi network (with client isolation).

Currently, the router is acting as the DHCP server, but the DNS server is set to the Windows Server domain controller on the network. With the guest network enabled, clients can't resolve the DNS server due to the client isolation feature.

Previously, the way we had this set up was the server and router were both acting as DHCP servers. Endpoints that were wired received IP addresses from the server (which was wired to a switch with the other wired endpoints, then the switch wired to an Ethernet port on the router), and endpoints that connected via Wi-Fi received IP addresses from the router. Both had different scopes to prevent conflicts. This worked okay because only wired endpoints needed to be able to resolve internal names on the network.

But we recently had to reset the entire router, and I'm wondering if that's still the best way to do this. Another thought I had was to just set the secondary DNS to public DNS (e.g., Google or Cloudflare). The assumption being clients connected to the Guest Wi-Fi wouldn't be able to resolve the server, so then would fail-over to the public DNS. But I thought this might add some latency to the requests.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. It doesn't look like there is support for split DNS on the SRR60 otherwise that could be an option. Ultimately, only wired devices need to be able to resolve internal names. Anything connected via Wi-Fi (whether on a guest network or otherwise) just needs access to the internet.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: SRR60 Configure DNS for Guest Wi-Fi with Client Isolation

You probably out of luck in regards to what your trying to do. Guest Network since it's isolated, is tied to the WAN side and only gets DNS from what the WAN side auto detects from the ISP services. I don't think you can configure a separate DNS configuration for the GN. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements