Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Another Orbi dropping internet connection - other solutions read & tried

AliNet1
Aspirant

Another Orbi dropping internet connection - other solutions read & tried

About 5 weeks into our Orbi network, and we're losing internet connection, often - 3 times yesterday, twice today. First it's like Wi-Fi going down (websites not responding, etc.), but our SSID still broadcasts. After a few minutes, Orbi base turns pink. Using the app, I can connect but it shows local/no internet. Force reboot through app (see below for combos), flashing white light, then no light, full connection. For a time.

I've also done hard boots of Orbi as complete network hard boots (Orbi unplug, modem unplug, modem boot, Orbi boot) with and without any other devices connected via Ethernet. No difference.

setup - Hardware RBR850, firmware (current) 4.6.3.16_2.0.51 connected by cat 6 to Cox Panoramic POS gateway running in bridge mode. Circle, Armor, Traffic are all off. I had a lot of trouble getting it up and working initially, had to spend almost 3 hrs with tech support to get it up and running. I vaguely remember what we did, but it was crazy back door stuff to manually copy my laptop's network config. Note - I had no problems with the Cox gateway before this, and rebooting the gateway doesn't help.

I've got to get this working, and the thought of another 90 min hold ... hoping folks here can help. Thanks 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
AliNet1
Aspirant

Re: Another Orbi dropping internet connection - other solutions read & tried

Adding: Cox Panoramic is about 2 months old and is their "top" (haha) & newest model running bridge mode. I bought new Cat 6 cables to connect Orbi to it (as well as a few other devices to Orbi and some to the Panoramic). Switched cables out for others, same issue. Panoramic is in bridge mode - when Orbi goes down, I can still connect to the Panoramic with the same Ethernet cable to my laptop.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the Orbi base turns PINK then something is happening at the modem maybe that stops giving traffic and connection to the RBR...

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

YOu might try the Orbi system in AP mode with the ISP modem back in router mode with it's wifi radios fully disabled to see if the problem continues...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Also, what happens if you access the router IP\debug page and enable the WAN/LAN packet capture on the RBR? 

Message 4 of 6

There are well known issues with the FW version. Many are experiencing same issues as you and a lot of other type of issues as well. I have same issue as you describe and also when I down-/upload large files. Satelites that goes on and off, devices that only connect to main router, App showing wrong connections etc.

We are still waiting for FW fixes, but NG are dead silent and seems clearly not on top of things at the moment.

I think you can factory reset yourself to death with the standard advices from the super users in here (probaly with good intensions), but funny enough they do not mention the risk that you are hit by FW issues, before you have spend many many hours resetting and re-setup etc.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well lets let the OP respond first to the feedback. 

We already know some users have issues with V4 FW and NG IS aware of it. 

I didn't see any issues with mine on last run:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7