Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blue solid light on Orbi satellite

dgrandshaw
Aspirant

Blue solid light on Orbi satellite

Hi - So I have good connectivity on my two saltellites back to the router. The satellite has a solid blue light that is always on. I thought that the light went off after syncing with the router after about 120 seconds but it is not. Always on solid. Firmware 4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Blue solid light on Orbi satellite

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

It would help if you identify the specific Orbi model (router and satellite).

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@dgrandshaw wrote:

Hi - So I have good connectivity on my two saltellites back to the router. The satellite has a solid blue light that is always on. I thought that the light went off after syncing with the router after about 120 seconds but it is not. Always on solid. Firmware 4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Message 4 of 12
dgrandshaw
Aspirant

No progress - still periodically see it go thru the restart cycle out of the blue. I expect that is what it has been doing all along but I was not catching the white light sequence showing that it was restarting. The satellite has no loggin feature so I cannot tell when it resets, or the uptime. Looks like it could be happening more than once a day.  I have the RBK753 (router with two satellites), house is 2900 sq ft. and when the satellites sync they always have a good status. Total of 10 devices (laptops/smart tvs/cell phones - No gaming) with maybe 3-4 on at any given time. 400 mg AT&T fiber. The satellites are probably 30-40 ft. from the main router with a few walls in between - typical wood/sheetrock construction - 20 yr old house. I expect the other satellite is also spontaneously rebooting but never really in an area that I see that status light like I do on the other satellite which is close to my office space.

I can try moving the satellite but would not see if reboot if I do that. Is there a log or more to the satellite interface?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@dgrandshaw wrote:

Is there a log or more to the satellite interface?

I cannot vouch for the AX series, but the original Orbi satellites have the same "debug" page as the Orbi router.

http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm

There is an option to create a debug log (and another option to have the log begin when the satellite boots up).

Saving the log to a computer produces a zip file with LOTS of information.

(Making sense of it.... now that's a different story.)

Message 6 of 12
dgrandshaw
Aspirant

There is logging for some features but it does not log info on satellites. I called in and was told to connect the satellites direct into the wall outlet - avoiding a powerstrip. Then they had me hold the reset button for 30 seconds which I did so I will monitor for spontaneous satellite reboots the next few days. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

What kind of power strip do you have? 

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@dgrandshaw wrote:

Hi - So I have good connectivity on my two saltellites back to the router. The satellite has a solid blue light that is always on. I thought that the light went off after syncing with the router after about 120 seconds but it is not. Always on solid.

According to the User Manual on page 11, the LED is supposed to turn blue for three minutes.

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@dgrandshaw wrote:

There is logging for some features but it does not log info on satellites. I called in and was told to connect the satellites direct into the wall outlet - avoiding a powerstrip. Then they had me hold the reset button for 30 seconds which I did so I will monitor for spontaneous satellite reboots the next few days. 

Unless you have the world's worst power strip, this advice seems sophomoric.  MyRBR50 and RBS50 are both powered by UPS. If I had found a way to mount a UPS in the garage rafters, my RBS40V would also be connected to UPS.  There are devices that definitely should not be plugged into power strips, such as Powerline adapters.  If this solves your problem, I owe someone a huge apology.

My Orbi satellite debug pages (both RBS50 and RBS40V) have the option to "Start Debug Log Capture when boot up". It defies logic to think that these debug logs do not contain information about the satellite itself.  I'm not claiming that the information is useful or pertinent to this particular problem, but to claim that they do not exist????

Message 10 of 12
dgrandshaw
Aspirant

It is just a surge supressor power strip from trip-lite - nothing special. I plugged the satellite directly into the way and did the 30 second reset as suggested by support. Time will tell if it keeps resetting.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

After a period of time, if the RBS continues to work, plug it back into the power strip and test. 

Possible you may have a bad power strip. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7