Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CTS/RTS Values With Firmware V3.2.15.25

Chuck_M
Mentor

CTS/RTS Values With Firmware V3.2.15.25

New firmware (3.2.15.25) in for several days and things appear to be fine & very stable across the board.

Out of curiosity (after reading a post on here) I checked the CTS/RTS values and they are now at 500.

I didn't set those -- so I presume the firmware update did.  They had previously (before firmware update) been set to 2347.

My network consists of RBR850, RBS850 & 2 x RBS50s.  The RBS50s are at firmware 2.5.1.16.

Question #1:  Is there a method of determining optimal CTS/RTS values or is a "I am having wireless issues, so I will reduce the number?"

Question #2:  500 seems like a very specific number for this to happen to land on.  Before I change back to 2347, is there any other consideration I need to make?  

Question #3:  Has anyone else seen default changes to the value?

Question #4:  If it isn't broke, should I mess with it?  (Most important question of all).

Message 1 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: CTS/RTS Values With Firmware V3.2.15.25

Great observation! Thanks for reminding me to check the CTS/RTS values after the firmware upgrade.  I did (chose) not reset my Orbi AX after the firmware upgrade and my values stayed at 2347 so I don't need to change anything.

I would stick with 2347 unless there's evidence not to.  We know that 2347 works better and is more compatible than the previous/low default values.  Perhaps someone else here knows if/why 500 would be a better default.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I factory reset mine and the defaults are still back at 64 after 15.25 was loaded the other day. I moved mine back to 2347.

@Mikey94025 wrote:

Great observation! Thanks for reminding me to check the CTS/RTS values after the firmware upgrade.  I did (chose) not reset my Orbi AX after the firmware upgrade and my values stayed at 2347 so I don't need to change anything.

I would stick with 2347 unless there's evidence not to.  We know that 2347 works better and is more compatible than the previous/low default values.  Perhaps someone else here knows if/why 500 would be a better default.

Message 3 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

I wonder if the regional releases may have had different defaults.... Anyhow, I reset to 2347.

Entire system is smooth as silk.  Nearly 100 devices (including Sonos, pool, nest, synology, rachio, chamberlain, etc) are playing well.

Message 4 of 6
AhmedEssam
Aspirant

the CTS/RTS 2347 might cause you connection problems with some devices like playstation 4. I think the new firmware is late fixing this issue. I wouldn't push it above the 500

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

"We used RTS=64 by default as it help on reduce on re-transmission and contention in noise environment and help when client is at location far from Orbi device. If your environment is not congestive or clients are not far away, RTS=2347 should be better."

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7