Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP Address Reservations Corrupting MAC address

J-Hawk
Tutor

DHCP Address Reservations Corrupting MAC address

The DHCP reservations based on MAC address worked OK up until line item 112 in my list (oh the joys of IOT) and then none of my MAC addresses got stored correctly. 

From a Safari browser on Catalina accessing my router on my intranet with the router and satellites updated to V3.2.16.22_1.4.9, (BTW, same issue on prior revision), the MAC address would be corrupted on save (whether typed live, ort pasted) into a combination of a 4 byte IP and a MAC, or just a random LAN IP adress. Either way, not saving the MAC correctly. 

The other DHCP reservation table works fuine, but beyond 112 items I'm unable to correctly save a MAC address in the reservation table. Anyone else seen this or workarounds?

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DHCP Address Reservations Corrupting MAC address

So you have over 112 reservations?

Though some of us don't have that many devices. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Try using a different browser as well, Firefox or Opera GX.

You might try v12 FW and see. 

If nothing seems to work, i'd contact NG support and let them know what you seeing. 

Message 2 of 10
J-Hawk
Tutor

Hi FURRYe38,

Many thanks for the response. Yes 112 and growing. Prefer to register to control the whitelist and have the grey & blacklists visible. Sadly many people, many IOT devices, etc.

Browser variations seem to yield the same result, as does changing PC. I will try a rebuild from factory, but stabilizing the network with all the different device needs means i will be reloacding the .cfg (or face retyping 112 MACs into the reservation table) so it won't be purely a fresh setup.
You mention v12 firmware. Not sure i saw that. The most recent update from administration panel is V3.2.16.22_1.4.9, but maybe i'm misunderstanding you.

Regarding Netgear 'support', well i'm not sure i want to pay $50 for a chance to report a bug, unless you know a better way.
Thx, J-Hawk

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

v12 is most current though It may not be on NGs auto update servers yet. So you can manually download and apply. 

You can contact a forum moderator and let them know if you want to via PM:

@Blanca_O 

Message 4 of 10
J-Hawk
Tutor

Thanks again. Will try that, but seems liek a hail Mary unless that's int eh addressed errata notes. 

BTW, tried to sign up for the $50 option to get 'support' and report the bug, but even that dialog page was non-functional. Dialog box to enter serial number didn't allow any data entry regardless which browsaer i used. It would be funny if it wasn't so frustrating

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully the forum moderator will make contact with you next week sometime. 

Message 6 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

I have 73 reserved DHCP addresses so for fun I added test addresses until I reproduced your issue.  On my RBR850 I can set up to 113 reserved addresses successfully.  After that, the 114th reserved address gets truncated (see attached screenshot).  There does seem to be a limit on how many reserved addresses you can set.

I thought it might be a limit on the total data size so I truncated a bunch of my device name strings (to "make room" for more reserved addresses).  It did not make a difference - My 114th address still gets truncated in exactly the same spot (3 characters short of the full MAC address).

My Orbi is way past expired warranty so I will not be reporting this bug to them or do any further testing.

Message 7 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @J-Hawk

We are looking into this issue and would like to work with you. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 8 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Mikey94025

If you are willing to work with support on the issue please let me know and I will PM you requesting for more information.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 10
J-Hawk
Tutor

Happy to work to figure it out. Equally, there are a few of us using this network for work and college, so keeping it available when needed is high on my list to resolve the issue

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7