Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Duplicate MAC Address message when unblocking

chiefsheepy
Aspirant

Duplicate MAC Address message when unblocking

I've just started having trouble connecting a couple of devices to my WiFi network, which is running by an RBR760. The Orbi smartphone app indicates they're working, but they're giving messages that they're blocked by Access Control. Logging into the router's web portal and going to Access Control, I can see they are blocked. When I try to unblock them by checking the box next to them and hitting the "Allow" button, nothing changes. When I go to the Edit screen for the device and select "Allow" from the drop-down menu on, I get a pop-up that says "Duplicate MAC Address", and nothing changes.

A possible clue to this mystery is that I think I had previously paused these devices individually via the Orbi smartphone app. I've restarted these devices, rebooted the router, and renewed their DHCP leases. No dice.

What the butts?

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Duplicate MAC Address message when unblocking

If these devices are powered off, then they will appear in the third table on the Access Control Page

"Blocked Devices that are not currently connected."

• Enable Access Control
  • Select each device from that table and Delete them from the table.using "Remove from the list."
  • Select Apply at the top of the page.

Personally, I find Access Control to be a huge pain and do not enable it.

Message 2 of 4
chiefsheepy
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try on one device (powered down, gave it a few minutes), but it didn't work. It's back online after turning off Access Control, at least.

The thing is, I'd like to keep some control over what devices are using the WiFi (to manage kid screen time), and the Orbi app doesn't seem to do a good job of actually blocking them.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@chiefsheepy wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try on one device (powered down, gave it a few minutes), but it didn't work.

The device did not move from "currently connected" to "not connected"?  Orbi tables update very slowly.  There is an option to "Refresh" (on the right side of the screen).

On the topic of Parental Control, the situation is really complicated.  There is a reason Netgear and other vendors tout their "Smart Parental Controls" options. (Hint: the primitive controls built into router software are woefully inadequate.)

I gave up on controlling my parents, so have no practical advise on that subject. (ha) Good Luck

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7